Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is the ONLY thing I cannot stand about the design of our vehicles.

I am an EMT, so I wear big heavy boots to and from work, and upon entry and exit of the vehicle, I scuff the everloving crap out of the plastic on the lower door chassis frame. Has anyone thought of any ways to either reduce scuffing, or get that part clean? I could be a meticulous freak and carefully climb in and out every time, but after I leave my Kempo or Judo classes, I can barely lift my legs, lol...so scuffing will happen regardless.

Anyone else notice this? It's annoying...as hell... :twisted:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Scuffling will occur on a brand new car and will not last forever :D I just use Lexol and for the most part, it goes away. Some other members cut out a piece of carpet and overlay it along the lower door chassis frame.

·
Registered
359 Posts
There is a post somewhere (I don't recall if it was on this site, or another Element owner's site) where some one posted an image of scuff, non slip tape material. They purchased it at Pep Boys and cut it it fit and simply stuck it on. It looked very cool.

I am with Element however. I just periodically wipe everything down with Lexol. Lexol doesn't really make the scratches and scuffs "go away" but it certainly disguises them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Land Rovery Discovery with a high entrance and also was scuffing the lower plastic door frame. I purchased some thick clear tape and put it in the places where I was dragging my foot, and after 7 years I pulled it off and the surface looked fine - sort of a stone guard for feet. Steer clear of anything labelled "non-slip" since this will have an abrasive surface that will destroy your shoes! The objective is to get something as slippery as possible, so your shoes slide right against it. You should be able to buy waterproof clear packing tape at most office supply stores that will work fine and not come off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, JoeDentist, where did you get this extra thick tape. I was going to do something like that to stop scratching the rear door plastic from the front seatbelt buckles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the tape at Staples. I believe. Make sure you get the stuff marked "waterproof" since it has an adhesive that won't come off. Also, when you put it on, round any square corners with a small nail scissor - that is where it starts to peel or picks up dirt. I bet you could use some of that stone-guard material made for headlights, and a good-sized autobody paint store probably has some clear material for putting on rocker panels to resist stone chips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read somewhere about clear plastic shelf liner being used to cover the soft plactic door frame. I followed the suggestion and it has worked very well. The matte finish on the clear shelf liner matches well over the threshold, cleans easily and is a cheap sloution. My wife made a template out of the backing on the shelf liner so that it wont take long to recut and fit another peice if and when it needs to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts