Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from a two week, 2700 mile road trip from Texas to Michigan and return. I just purchased a cargo box thought I'd post results.

We bought the Sears X-Cargo Sport 20 which has all kinds of room (20 cubic feet if I remember). It held all of our baby's stuff (stroller, exersaucer, jumper, etc). We also have the OEM roof rack and 4WD.

On our trip we averaged around 19.5 miles to the gallon on the highway doing between 70 and 75. I didn't keep as good of track in the city since I figured it wouldn't have as big an effect. It was an uncomfortable ride on the highways with crosswinds. The extra surface area on the top really exaggerated the wind.

Overall I was impressed. I would like to get a little better gas mileage, but not much can be done. The best part was we only scraped it once on a low sign.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks for the review. Have any pics?

I went for the roof basket instead of a hard shell because I wanted a bit more diversity with what I can put in/on it. My mileage is about the same or a little better depending on what is on the roof. I had thought that maybe the hard shell style would be better on gas because of aerodynamics but I guess not always.

Was it hard to load? Is it worth what you paid for it in your opinion? I am sure some other E owners are looking into getting the same thing...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the review. Have any pics?

I went for the roof basket instead of a hard shell because I wanted a bit more diversity with what I can put in/on it. My mileage is about the same or a little better depending on what is on the roof. I had thought that maybe the hard shell style would be better on gas because of aerodynamics but I guess not always.

Was it hard to load? Is it worth what you paid for it in your opinion? I am sure some other E owners are looking into getting the same thing...
Unfortunately I violated the first rule of EOC and didn't take any pictures and right now it's in the storage shed on the other side of the city.

It wasn't too bad to load with light stuff. The box lifts up from the back and there are support hinges on both sides that line up with the side door pillars. To open the box I would fold down the lower tailgate to stand on and then close the upper tailgate (with window) to reach up and unlock.

Loading from side was a little tricky unless the item was small. There were no good hand holds that I could find and even with the side steps my chest was against the roof to hold myself up.

Overall it was worth the money since it was $20 off at Sears, especially compared to the size of other units and their prices. Here is a link to the Sears site with pictures of it. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02872020000P?mv=rr

I'll try to get some pictures in the next week or so when I'm back out by the storage shed.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My 2 cents on carriers, I have thule load bars on my E, the one's that are recommended by thule for the E. (think it's the 50"), there are pix on here of the 58" bars. I'd recommend the 58" for the cargo box.

I also have a bike carrier on the E and while searching for a cargo box that will fit with my bike carrier up on top, I'm limited to the width of the cargo box to a max of about 25". If I had the 58" bars I could open up the possible choices.

Haven't bought one yet but plan on soon. When I do, will post pix.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Looks alot like that.

We used her father's last year for a trip, the price is right, but its just way too big for its own good. Its already difficult to get up in there to because of the vehicle height, and I felt really awkward abotu putting heavy objects up top in an already wobbly car.

The price sure is right, but I'd be happier with something a little lower and longer.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
194 Posts
Sears cargo carrier

I just took a trip with the Sears Sport20V. Here are some pics. It is a little tuff loading and unloading. I use the tires as a step as well as the back, lower gate. The carrier is great as it swallows up alot of stuff. Would recommend. Thanks, D

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
194 Posts
Here we go again.

So I am taking a trip from NJ to Florida. I was contemplating about using the Sears cargo box again. My question is: How stable are these boxes when you are doing 75-80mph on I-95? Are these things known to "let go" from the rack when you hit a certain speed? I would have a decent amount of stuff to weigh it down. What do you think? Thanks, D

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
So I am taking a trip from NJ to Florida. I was contemplating about using the Sears cargo box again. My question is: How stable are these boxes when you are doing 75-80mph on I-95? Are these things known to "let go" from the rack when you hit a certain speed? I would have a decent amount of stuff to weigh it down. What do you think? Thanks, D
I've hauled a Yakima cargo box on top of various cars for many a mile with no problems. My present box is a Yakima Space Cadet that opens on the side (it is a LOT easier to get into than the one that opened to the back).

·
Registered
71 Posts
My experience is also with the Yakima. The only problem I ever had was when after it was all packed and locked, my wife and daughter decided to make a small change. Unfortunately they did not make sure it was securely locked. A quilt that she had made for our grand daughter caught my attention as I saw it out the rear view mirror as it flew out. The California Highway Patrol came to our rescue. They did a traffic break on the I-5 and safely retrieved the quilt undamaged much to the relief of my wife and daughter. The carrier has been in use permanently for some 5 years now on my youngest daughters minivan without any problems at speeds up to 85. From the pictures of your box the security clamps that hold the box to the rack look identical to those on the Yakima.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
A quilt that she had made for our grand daughter caught my attention as I saw it out the rear view mirror as it flew out.
:lol:
Yakima has solved that problem with the new cargo boxes. They cannot be completely latched without being locked and they won't lock if not completely latched. A good design change IMHO.

·
Registered
174 Posts
:lol:
Yakima has solved that problem with the new cargo boxes. They cannot be completely latched without being locked and they won't lock if not completely latched. A good design change IMHO.
Same with Thule. My Ascent 1600 will not lock (and therefore not release the key) unless all the latch pins are engaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just wanted to post up my experience with the Sears X-Cargo 20... I did alot of research and I am an avid camper/gear junkie. Those searching for a solution to gear up the element might find it useful.

IT IS AWESOME!

I have it attached to my Yakima racks. I didn't need to modify the the pre-installed holes or U brackets in any way.

I had it stuffed with gear for a 4 days camping trip.

IN THE BOX:
1 4 man tent
1 2 man tent
1 Coleman screen room
1 disc golf bag
1 coleman stove
1 coleman flannel sleeping bag
2 beach chairs
4 pillows
1 clothing bag (large backpack)
1 queen size blowup mattress
1 camping gear bag (small duffel)
1 30 pack of beer
2 dry food bags
*** no kidding

IN THE CAB:
1 cooler
1 kitchen tote
1 duffel with heavy blankets
1 7 gallons water box
1 crate with dog food/dry food
1 fishing gear
1 small shovel
1 dog bed (setup)
1 **** kit
2 dog bowls with water
1 stepladder (for easy loading)
2 dogs
2 adults...

This setup left only the very rear of the element packed with gear. It was all secured using heavy duty rubber bungees via the handy clips in the element. I attached the cargo box as far as I could over the passenger side of the vehicle. Access to the tailgate is important to open and close the box (I am short 5'6"). I left things I might need to access toward the back of the box so I wouldn't need to break out the stepladder. Both sides of the swing away door were open and exposed giving easy in and outs for the dogs. I also had 2 backpacks bungeed securely to the back of both seats so they don't flop around and could be packed with things like leashes, dog snacks, extra socks and sweaters.

DRIVING:
I barely noticed the box at all. There was more of a psychological effect than a physical effect of the box being there. The night before I left there was heavy rainfall and nothing got wet. I averaged about 20mpg and traveled through heavy wind areas and very narrow winding roads... I barely felt it.

I still had an entire side of my Yakima rack open for more attachments or gear or bikes.

I am very big on having the tailgate useable and being able to park the element in small spaces while going through cities...

It is a perfect start for your E.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went from Maine to Virginia with Thule XT1800 cargo box and a Sears 20 cargo box on my Thule roof rack on my "L". Using 58" bars both boxes just fit. Gas mileage wasn't the greatest but I had alot of stuff to haul.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts