Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 488 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with GYPSYTDA! With only 8K you should not have to deal with this crap by yourself and act as a middleman between the dealer and the upholstery guys. I only smell trouble going through that route. Your dealer can outsource the work if they choose but you should ultimately hold them accountable for any warranty work.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
[quote:814cb129a6=" "]I agree with GYPSYTDA! With only 8K you should not have to deal with this crap by yourself and act as a middleman between the dealer and the upholstery guys. I only smell trouble going through that route. Your dealer can outsource the work if they choose but you should ultimately hold them accountable for any warranty work.[/quote:814cb129a6]

thank you, you wrote my thoughts exactly.. i love that, i was thinking that just my fingers and keyboard just did not connect.. smiles!

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:0eee61eae9=" "]The seam is actually on the flat outside part of the seat and not the back part of the seat. The dealer suggested getting it repaired at the upohlstery shop rather than order a entire seat cover. I did nothing to snag the material but there is a slight wrinkle in the area where the material is splitting.[/quote:0eee61eae9]

My understanding is that the side airbag exits the seat from that side. Since there doesn't seem to be a way to exit the seat, except through the seams, I remain concerned about outside repairs.

-brendan

·
Registered
926 Posts
Seems like most of what I would have said is already being suggested. I will just post a couple things and reiterate some of what has already been pointed out.

First, it isn't that uncommon for dealers to refer you to a third party shop for some types of work. Upholstery might be one of those things. I had this done twice with my last car. A tire puncture due to a screw that a tire picked up during dealer prep. In that situation they referred the work to a local Goodyear shop. They drove the car back and forth from their shop but, none the less, the work was done by a third party. And, the delamination problem with my 90 Lumina where the top dash panel came unglued after a recall on the issue. The dealer refused to fix it under the recall since it had expired even though the problem developed less than a month after the expiration of the recall. In that case they referred me to such a shop to have the dash panel reglued. At my expense though. I never did get it done.

In your case, as has been mentioned, you may have a potentially serious situation. The Side Airbag. The seam that is failing MAY be that break away seem for the airbag. If it is repaired wrong that could have a serious if not deadly effect on the ability for your airbag to deploy in an accident. The dealer may be brushing it off because they are lazy and figure just stitch it rather than replace it. Or it could be an expensive repair to do right. (A NEW SEAT?) I would question the recommendation and referal by contacting HONDA directly. This could be a potential liability problem that they would not want. After all, if you are at or around 8,000 miles this should be a warrantee issue and done at no cost to you. Thus the incentive for them to have it fixed on the cheap rather than right. Was the dealer aware that your seat is equipped with AIRBAG? If they insist on the 3rd party repair, keep all documentation in writing. Tell the dealer that since the airbag is in that side of the seat, (I don't recall you mentioning??? Is this the side of the seat toward a door?) you want their referral and recommendation IN WRITING along with a guarantee that they will stand behind the safety of the repair, vis a vis the airbag situation. That way should something ever happen and someone should be injured in an accident you will have the documentation that THEY TOLD YOU TO DO IT THAT WAY so they can't come back at you and say it was an improper unwarranted repair. Also, mention to the third party upholsterer the presence of the airbag. It could very well be his insurance company won't allow him to do that repair due to liability. Or, maybe it is a common repair and there is a special thread or stitching that he would use to repair it correctly. In all fairness, that would be good piece of mind to know before hand that it can be done right.

WmAS1960 (Bill)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
wmas1960: great advice.. though as far as 3rd party referral.. that is something the dealer should not have you take your car to someone else if they need something done by someone outside the dealer they should be taking it in themselves, under their responsibility.. rather then yours..

if youare taking a vehicle into another place, outside the dealer, you are taking responsibility. Even with it in writing from the dealer, that can still get ugly.. and you may have to fight to get your money back, not to mention any liability issues, and the side air bags functioning.

So if your dealer is not going to cooperate, contact Honda directly.. get their help.. and heck take pictures, make sure you clarify you have side air bags.. this may be a deveioping problem with side air bag vehicles, and they may be working on a TSB or recall on it.. you may be on the beginning of an issue.

Please keep us posted, good luck!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
With due respect to WmAS1960 (Bill) I disagree on a minor point. I have had unfortunate experiences in the past where I have kept all the paper work and documented everything and still had to sort through heaps of BS down the road. What happens is staff at dealerships change or they won't back someone else's work down the road even though they referred you to them. It is just a hassle you really don't want to be involved in. I am sticking to my original suggestion, let them deal with it. By doing it this way, everything you had done to your car was done through them and should be backed up them even if they choose to outsource. Put the ball in their court and let them do it to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your points are well taken. I will look into the air bag issue with the dealer. The dealer suggested the repair instead of ordering a new seat cover. They have agreed to pay for it by having the shop send them the bill. I have known the owner of the upholstery shop for thirty five years as he did work for my father in the car business. He looked at the Element this morning and said a wire in the seat has come free and penetrated the fabric creating the hole. One can feel the wire when you push on the seat.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
[quote:b9ed89cd7c=" "]Your points are well taken. I will look into the air bag issue with the dealer. The dealer suggested the repair instead of ordering a new seat cover. They have agreed to pay for it by having the shop send them the bill. I have known the owner of the upholstery shop for thirty five years as he did work for my father in the car business. He looked at the Element this morning and said a wire in the seat has come free and penetrated the fabric creating the hole. One can feel the wire when you push on the seat.[/quote:b9ed89cd7c]

that is great you know and trust the upholstry guy.. the concern is the dealer reimbursing you, warranty issues etc.. this really should be taken care of straight up my honda, not by you!

do keep us posted, don't wanna see/hear you get screwed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My passenger seat is splitting at the left shoulder area (no airbag there) - I rest my arm across the top of the seat on long rides with no passenger (I'm 6'4") It appears that the sewing machine caught just the edge of the fabric (no tuck) and is unravelling where the material folds when my arm presses down on it. Had my 10K check today and the dealer is going to warranty the seat - probably replace the cover. THE DEALER is farming it out to a third party upolstry shop that they use exclusively, THE DEALER is supplying them with the new cover. THE DEALER cheerfully said they'd do the "Rocking Seat" bushing replacement - I went armed with the TSB found on this site. Go to the dealer INFORMED of what you know to be the problems with this vehicle and you'll do better than if you weren't. If your dealer won't help - go to another one even if you have to take a long drive, it will be worth it.

DEALER is Lancaster Honda - Lancaster, CA - GREAT FOLKS!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
tonebender: sorry to hear you are having seat seam issues.. and rocking seat problems.. but i am glad your dealer is cooperating.. this is how they should be, but of course we know that is not always the rule..

should be unfortunate enough to have an uncooperative dealer, i would not recommend going dealer to dealer for help.. contact honda directly let them know the problem and the treatment you received.. and let them know you would like to go to another place for service.. (after reporting poor behavior i would not recommend returning for service, who knows what you might get from that!).

alas, good luck.. and again tonebender good tips!! wish you success with the outcome of this repair.. sounds like you have a nice dealer!! Yeah!

·
Registered
314 Posts
As I use the E more , I will find out rather quickly if this material will wear well. I am in and out of the E at least five to six times daily. The drivers seat should be the first to show wear if a durability problem exists. My seat problem was caused by a seat wire coming through the material and not a wear problem as originally thought. It goes to be repaired tomorrow.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just picked up my E at the upholstry shop. The seat is fixed and looks great. I still have reservations about the long term wear of this fabric though.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Seat upholstery: rips, cuts, cracks, split seams

I've noticed over the last several months, there is a small tear on the left seat cushion of my drivers seat.

Anyone else have this problem? Know if Honda will fix it or replace it all together? I am having to go back in to have my bushions replaced, again! Second time for the 'rocking'..

Kerri

·
Registered
905 Posts
Re: Torn Driver's Seat

I notice that mine certainly does stretch enough to tear. It's not torn yet, but I think after a few years its going to have some issues.

Is it torn on the left or right side on the cushion? It could be how the driver is getting which is putting stress on the fabric. Either way, I would try and get it replaced. I dont know how the dealership will treat that though...but its worth a shot.

·
Acura Tech
325 Posts

I've never worked at any dealership that argued with seat cover problems. And I've worked at some bad places.

·
Registered
344 Posts

I will be interested to hear if there is a patch or fix for this. I have a tear in the front passenger side (the corner of my daughter's microwaves dug in while taking her to college) and in the rear passenger side seat (not sure how that one got there).

·
Registered
2,720 Posts

3 years 36000...they will replace the seat cover. sometimes the seat springs pop and cause the tear, if that is the case, they will order and replace lower unit and seat cover. Take it to the dealership ASAP

·
Registered
44 Posts

My drivers seat was torn in three places.Dealer said no problem and ordered another cover.It had a slick,not textured appearance from the wear.I thought that the fabric might be more or less durable than traditional coverings...

Dan Cas

·
Acura Tech
325 Posts

Well, for a spring to pop and go through the cover it has lots of foam to go through.

21 - 40 of 488 Posts