Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Does anyone else have this problem? When I take off from a stop....the seat rocks back, then when I come to a stop the seat rocks forward!!! It is really annoying!!! I have taken it back to the dealer and they checked it out...nothing loose. We checked out another E in the lot and it did the same thing. The service guy said that the new accords do it also...something about the seat adjustment needing to have 'play'? :(

Please tell me that I am not alone!:mrgreen:

[moderator's note]
TSB A03-032 Driver's seat rocks 11/03/06

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
My seats in my Element rock too? Anything to do for that? just the drivers side seat though, not the passengers seat.....
very strange.... I noticed it after they put in my armrest.

-Shoreline Mist Element in New York

·
Registered
2 Posts
My driver's seat rocks also. More like teeters... forward and backwards. It's as though the seat tracks have too much gap or play. The rocking can be easily reproduced by sitting in the back seat behind the driver's seat and lightly pushing and pulling forward and backward on the headrest. It's not much of a rock but the slight knocking noise is annoying. It may not be as noticeable when the seat is adjusted in other positions? I can’t explain why the front passenger seat is different, though. Perhaps a more thorough investigation over the weekend is in order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My E started having the driver's seat rock a few days ago (car is only 2 weeks old). Took a look at left front side of seat to see what was loose and found that the bolt that holds the seat to the car was loose. I used a 9/16" socket wrench and tightened her up - now nice and solid!!

There is a plastic cover over the bolt that just unclips by pulling it forward then snaps right back on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The dealer told me that the rocking "feature" was designed into the seats. As it gets worse, I will keep taking it back for them to assess the "feature". What a load!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
TSB-03032.

Here's the problem: They just reuse the same parts - just like the CRV. It's not a fix, there's nothing new or differently designed. They take off two bushing and a spacer and install the same parts.

The CRV had the exact same problem and they reused that mechanism on the Element.

The TSB says "WORN-BUSHINGS" - now, how in the HELL do bushings get worn in 900 miles?

Honda needs a fix. This is just a temporary patch. I guess they figure you'll get tired of taking it back. I traded in the CRV, but they never came out with anything permanent for it either. The rocking reoccured in the CRV and Honda knows it will here too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I was told the "fix" was to replace the bushing and spacers - not add any.

Replace them one for one.

That's what I was told, and that's what I thought the TSB referred to.

It says replace "worn" bushings, how can bushings be worn at 900 miles?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I work for Honda; this bulletin affects ALL Elements. Some owners may experience problems, others may not. I've had mine done. I weigh close to 300 lbs, and the problem has not re-occured in mine. The parts for the bulletin are nothing more than bushing/spacers that take up the slack and make it more firm. The same issue has also been found on the Civic. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I printed out the technical service bulletin from Honda about the rocking seat and took it to the dealer.I asked them why I could get repair information from Honda but they could not.I thought things were settled but then the service advisor told me he was not sure that was going to fix the problem.Now two days later they agreed to try the repair but did not think that it was going to help!Is this is Honda's idea of service ?I still really like the vehicle but this quite annoying!

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I printed out the technical service bulletin from Honda about the rocking seat and took it to the dealer.I asked them why I could get repair information from Honda but they could not.I thought things were settled but then the service advisor told me he was not sure that was going to fix the problem.Now two days later they agreed to try the repair but did not think that it was going to help!Is this is Honda's idea of service ?I still really like the vehicle but this quite annoying!
I have a suspicion, however, that unless your dealer is completely hopeless, the work they do will fix, or at least reduce, the problem.

The "...but [he said they] did not think it was going to help" sounds like a cover-your-ass move by the service advisor. In other words, they're implying to you that the first time they looked at the problem, it didn't appears to be one fixable by this method that they obviously know about. They'll try this method but still don't think it'll fix the problem.

Yeah, sure...

And if it doesn't, tell them to fix it again anyway! Under warranty! Because, the seat should be bolted down!

-brendan

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got mine fixed during a service visit (they knew about the TSB and said they fixed it). They did fix it but the fix didn't last but more than 3 months or so. It's starting to rock again. I get the feeling that this is going to be a chronic problem. I don't feel unsafe, but it's one of those annoyances with a new car like the brake clicking when going from reverse to forward and vise versa.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My E has had the rocking seat problem almost since day one. I took it to my local Honda dealer. One of the service guys told me "all of them do it" and then took me around the lot and sat me down in several E's to prove it (they all did it). I told him it was all well and good that all of them do it, but that's not my problem and that's not an acceptable answer. I showed him the TSR (he originally denied there was one, but caved immediately when I produced my hard copy), and then he scheduled me in for the fix.

The fix reduced but didnt eliminate the rocking, and after a month it was as bad as ever. I called and spoke with someone at American Honda, who was cordial and efficient in his followup with the dealer, and I am now waiting for my next appt, when I expect the dealer to "try something different" than just what's called for in the TSR (perhaps an extra bushing spacer or two?) They also suggested they might replace the seat rails and I said fine, do it, but I'm not expecting that to make any difference, since I dont think my seat rails are defective in the first place. I'll post my results here after my next appt.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My 2003's seat is rocking again. I had the bushings replaced about 6 months ago and it still rocks. It's getting progressively worse as the days go by. Anybody else having this issue?

·
Registered
338 Posts
That is the problem with the fix in the TSB. The bushing is replaced with the same part.

Nothing is being corrected, you're just getting a fresh start.

I had a buddy with a CRV and he's gone through 4 sets now.

Honda used the mechanism from the CRV when it had a KNOWN problem.

Bad decision.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Element is rocking ... again... only about 7,000 KM after being fixed. The result is a lot of discomfort in downtown traffic. For long road cruises, it is fine.

It's one of those small things that ruins the whole experience.

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
I took my E in yesterday to have the seat rockin' checked out and they told me that it needed a new seat track assembly. The part number is 81536-scv-a51.
Does this sound right? I want to be sure they get it right.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello out there! Thought I'd revive this thread a little:

During my first servicing a couple months ago, I had the TSB performed for the rocking seat issue - and like everyone else, it only remedied the problem for a short while - like a week.

So it's back at the dealer as we speak - and guess what? I'm getting the same damn line - 'All Elements do this'. The service advisor pretty much said that he went out to the lot and tried out three other Elements - and they all have the same seat rocking issue.

I find it unacceptable to have a problem like this - on a Honda - that 'cannot be fixed'. What's the next step folks? Should I file a complaint with Honda directly? What about the ol' Lemon Law approach?

...Rockin' Away....

-D

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
I work in the parts dept for a dealer.As far as the seat bushings go they are surprisingly thin...As close as the tolerences are there isnt room for a larger bushing.

1 - 20 of 244 Posts