Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04. Need to replace the downstream O2 sensor (the one in the Cat).

However, every sensor I can find for sale online seems to be the upstream one (grey, squared-off connectors). I need the downstream one (blue, rounded connectors).

Anyone know what I'm missing?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Color doesn't matter, if that's what throwing you off. Just make sure it's listed as the downstream one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The weird thing is the connector itself though. This one is listed as the downstream, for example, yet the connector wouldn't work with the one in my picture above (look at the four pins, circular vs squared off).

Thanks for the help though. Seems like other people would have run into this also, so it was worth checking.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Where are you getting that first picture In post #1? In that first picture you’re looking at the wire side of the connector. In post 4 you’re looking at the opposite side of the connector.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The weird thing is the connector itself though. This one is listed as the downstream, for example, yet the connector wouldn't work with the one in my picture above (look at the four pins, circular vs squared off).
View attachment 209056
Thanks for the help though. Seems like other people would have run into this also, so it was worth checking.
How do you know this picture is an accurate depiction and not just some stock photo of any old O2 sensor? Even if the connector was the same how do you know it's for the Element and not say another Honda? And then how are you going to know that it's putting out the right voltage? or materials it's made of?

My point is, at some point you're going to have to trust that what you ordered is what you're getting based on the best reading of the given material. Pics are important but part number and descriptions are better. And if you are still in doubt, contact the vendor. And if you still are not satisfied then go to the dealer and have them order you one.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX AWD MT
55 Posts
I installed a downstream O2 sensor not long ago, and it looked the the one in post #4, i.e. rectangular. The O2 sensor I removed was Denso 234000-7100. Replaced with NTK 24631. My Element is a 2005 and I have owned it since new. I believe the Denso O2 sensor was original, but I'm not certain. Maybe I had replaced it long ago also.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think the confusion is your 1st photo shows the outside of the connector housing with the wiring pulled out, you need to unclip it and take it apart from the other half and you will see the connectors inside. 36532-PZD-A01 is the correct OEM part, I replaced mine a couple years ago

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you getting that first picture In post #1? In that first picture you’re looking at the wire side of the connector. In post 4 you’re looking at the opposite side of the connector.
That's the actual underside of my car.
My point is, at some point you're going to have to trust that what you ordered is what you're getting based on the best reading of the given material. Pics are important but part number and descriptions are better. And if you are still in doubt, contact the vendor. And if you still are not satisfied then go to the dealer and have them order you one.
Yeah that's fair. Just hesitant when it contradicts what I'm seeing, so I figured it'd be worth asking on here.
I think the confusion is your 1st photo shows the outside of the connector housing with the wiring pulled out, you need to unclip it and take it apart from the other half and you will see the connectors inside. 36532-PZD-A01 is the correct OEM part, I replaced mine a couple years ago
Ahhh thank you! Yes, this is exactly the issue. The Cat was stolen, and they must have ripped the wires out of the plug instead of cutting the wire or disconnecting the sensor (which makes sense).

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to be adding custom anti-theft guards to the car, so I'll share that once it's finished.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is the locking nut a separate piece, and can it be bought somewhere? A local scumbag nicked my nut with a Sawzall while deleting my cat, causing a small leak. New aftermarket cat, no warning lights, so I haven't replaced the sensor.

As an aside a knowledgeable friend advised sticking to Denso for this part; he then went into the technical details why and my eyes glazed over but I'm pretty sure he had some good points.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the locking nut a separate piece, and can it be bought somewhere?
I'd be surprised if you could find that on its own, might need to just buy a new sensor. You could also try this type of product though: sealant or wrap.
As an aside a knowledgeable friend advised sticking to Denso for this part; he then went into the technical details why and my eyes glazed over but I'm pretty sure he had some good points.
Yep, went with Denso!
have you checked rockauto.com? I have replaced both O2 sensors and the cat from them.
Definitely--I buy almost exclusively from rockauto.com.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts