Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2005 Honda Element and love it. However, my check engine light just came on at 41,000 miles and when I took it to the Honda dealer they ran the diagnostic test and said that my Secondary Oxygen Sensor is stuck on rich so it needed to be replaced. Has anyone had this problem before? I am assuming this is a part that my husband can replace. Has anyone replaced this themselves? Where is the best place to purchase a new sensor?

Thanks for all your help.

Kim

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
it should be simple to replace. you may have to buy an o2 sensor socket or you might just be able to get a wrench on it. local autozone or discount/advanced auto parts probably the cheapest.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Its not hard to replace but I have heard that the Bosch units will fail quickly and try to get a original replacement.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Its not hard to replace but I have heard that the Bosch units will fail quickly and try to get a original replacement.
I agree 100%. I would never put an oxygen sensor on my Honda that wasn't a Honda part. It might cost more but you'll probably only replace it once.

Removing it isn't hard in theory but depending on how you are doing the work (on a hoist or on jackstands) this will change things a bit. Some sensors need some good leverage to break loose and I've almost hung from my ratchet and MATCO sensor socket to break one loose before and the vehicle was in the air on my hoist. You can buy an O2 sensor socket from most auto parts stores that sell tools but a good 6-point box-end wrench will work too or a breaker bar with a 6-point crowfoot.

New Honda ones come pre-lubricated with moly paste so be sure to spread it around on all the threads be installing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. So the best route to go is to get the part from my local Honda dealer, correct? Does anyone have a good website to use to show my husband how to change that part out? I can just do a search as well, but wanted to get opinoins.

I appreciate all of your help!

Kim

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i have never had to replace one in my E but i have replaced several in other hondas (97 civic, 00 integra, 93 civic) with ones bought at autozone and never had an issue with them after. in fact the one in the 97 was recalled AFTER i put one from autozone in it and they wouldnt reinburse me for it even though it was like 1/3 the price of the original honda one that failed and that is what they wanted to replace it with. just saying...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just finished replacing the front O2 sensor.
Piece of cake. It took longer to get the E up on jack stands. When I`got under there I realized I was going to need a 22 mm wrench or the special socket. I don't have either of those so after I applying some penetrating oil I got out the crescent wrench. I figured I would give it a modest tug and if it didn't budge I would go buy the right tool. It worked!!
It was about a 45 minute job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts