Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of a brand new used Element ('08 EX AWD, certified, 10K mi)! It's a great car and I'm loving it already.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, lotsa good information.

I would like to keep some gear in the E all the time, and I'm not sure the best way to do it. If it were a pickup I'd bolt a toolbox in the back. If it were a car I'd use the trunk (and disable the internal trunk release, so you couldn't open it without the key). I'm thinking about 3 backpacks worth of food, water, clothing, tools, etc. How can I store gear in the E so that it would take more than a rock through the window for someone to steal it?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I am the proud owner of a brand new used Element ('08 EX AWD, certified, 10K mi)! It's a great car and I'm loving it already.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, lotsa good information.

I would like to keep some gear in the E all the time, and I'm not sure the best way to do it. If it were a pickup I'd bolt a toolbox in the back. If it were a car I'd use the trunk (and disable the internal trunk release, so you couldn't open it without the key). I'm thinking about 3 backpacks worth of food, water, clothing, tools, etc. How can I store gear in the E so that it would take more than a rock through the window for someone to steal it?
Your best defense is to keep potential thieves from knowing there's anything to steal. Make a cargo cover for the back end. Other than that? Practically the entire car inside is plastic so good luck making it Mosler.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A good alarm never hurts! Congrats on the new ride! I love mine in the winter! If your going to invest in one try to dig a bit deeper and get one with a remote start. I picked up a Viper 5901.

·
Registered
244 Posts
How about a lockable foot locker that's bolted down? Or if you remove the rear seats, you could use U clamps through the seat anchors, bolted inside the foot locker.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I use these Rubbermaid ActionPacker Storage Boxes. I have two of them, and wrap a chain around one of the rear seat anchors (seat removed). Attach the ends of the chain to one of the padlocks on the storagage boxes. When camping, wrap the chain around a picnic table.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-11...-24-Gallon/dp/B00002N6SQ?tag=particculturf-20
I too use an Action Packer. :)

Here's how I use mine.

^^ It's just a cable lock going through a threaded eye bolt, some fender washers and a lock washer. Oh and on the backside I cut off the excess threads flush with the bolt.

I keep each side of the top locked with a pair of small pad locks. This setup actually works quite nicely for storing away those items that could be easily taken during a smash and grab. I know it's not a high security setup, but it's certainly better than nothing. Eventually I'll come up with a more secure lock box setup, but for now this suites me just fine. ;-)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I can't see how the cable is attached to the car in the pictures. Are you also using the rear seat anchors, or did you find something else?

Thanks.
I chose to use one of the factory hold down attachment points. I upgraded all four of mine by removing the small screws that were originally holding them in place and reattached them using a slightly longer hex head bolt, lock washer and a flat washer.

Here you go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.