Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the blinking LED light is located on their dash? I don't want the dealer to just randomly drill a hole anywhere they like. Also any suggestions to locate the LED light would be appreciated and still be seen by a would be thief. I will be installing the security system soon and i need some advice and comments.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just had mine installed and they put it on the steering column above the wheel. It's in plain view and they did a great job! It is not on the dash (unless different places do it different)

·
Registered
82 Posts
The install manual recommends the location mentioned above - on the steering column housing centered beneath the speedometer which is where I put it when I installed mine but it could go most anywhere. Another forum member mounted his in the recessed shelf area of the dash above the cruise control main switch - which I think is kind of a cool idea but a lot less visible to potential thieves.

e-j

·
Registered
608 Posts
The LED for mine was installed on the face panel of the dash, but by the left side storage bin on the dash. It disapears but can be seen if you look in the car.

I actually had to search a bit to find it my 1st time in the car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
as they mentioned above the led is usually mounted on the steering column ( as indicated in the installaton manuals from CollegHillsHonda guides).

after they did mine it looks off-center of the gauges but i think they just nessed up...

anybody else notice this with theirs ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
i couldnt afford a security system so i bought one of those fake flashing led lights for 12.95 and stuck it by dash.. :roll:

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote:ed61273566="pemfluke"]i couldnt afford a security system so i bought one of those fake flashing led lights for 12.95 and stuck it by dash.. :roll:[/quote:ed61273566]

And it will probably be as effective in deterring any potential thief as the full blown security system! I mean, who even pays attention to car alarms sounding off these days??

·
Registered
168 Posts
for those of you who are installing flashing LEDs... right on! i think it will probably work just as well as the actual thing ( at least as a deterrent ).

have you thought about using a small black felt circle to emulate the microphone to the left of the shifter ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was thinking of mouting my security system LED on the drivers door, in the corner by the door lock, just like they do on VW's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed a lot of accessories to my E. The security system being one. As for the LED not being centered, I wished I would have caught this before I drilled the hole in my steering column. I am certain that I positioned the LED exactly where the instructions tell me to place it. But if you look closely the center of the steering column does not line up exactly with the center of the middle gauge. I should have marked the steering column aligned with the center of the middle gauge. Oh well... it does not look bad.

Has anyone been able to set the alarm off by the microphone? I can arm the alarm and drop the hood to close it and this will not set off the alarm. I've tried banging panels, jingling keys, tapping the glass. I cannot get the alarm to sound from the microphone.

Vittee

·
Registered
168 Posts
aaaaahhhhhhh, so there is at least one more persn with the off-centered led !!!

i think you will need a louder noise then the hood shutting. it is supposed to be tripped by the noise of breaking glass. short of breaking into your e, or launching a fire cracker in there, you might have to simulate.

maybe leave the window down a bit and place some old glass in a bucket rigged with a brick tied with a string, hanging out the open window.

pull the string to trip the brick into the bucket to break the glass and trip the microphone, to set off the alarm.... i think it will work :eek:)

any other ideas ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
When we lived next to apartments and a garbage truck came at 4:30 a.m.or a loud motorcycle went by, the car alarms went off. Your neighbors will be greatful that yours is not too sensitive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Personally, I think car alarms would be way more effective if they were programmed with the owner's name. That way instead of the horn just blaring away, the car would start shrieking "CHUCK! CHUCK! CHUCK! CHUCK! CHUCK!" Maybe it won't scare of a thief any more than a normal alarm, but at least when it goes off in the apartment parking at 4 AM and wakes you up, you know who to bitch at. 8)

Drew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts