Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,342 Posts
These holes are large because the steering linkage passes through them. Those steering arms have to be free to move. I compared the Element to my RAV4. On the RAV the steering arms attach to the wheels just above center, so their passage is not visible behind the wheel. On the Element these arms attach to the wheel structure above the wheel, so are much more visible.

As with the front grill, the openings aren't significantly different in size from other cars, they are just more visible to worried new owners.

paulj

· Registered
6,342 Posts
The steering components that you can see through that opening are just as exposed to the elements on other cars. However on most cars they are mounted lower down, sometimes below the wheel axle, so you cannot see them. I have driven on some dusty and muddy roads, and not detected an unusual buildup of dirt in that area. Even if dirt does get in there, it should be easy to wash it out - through the same fender opening.

paulj

· Registered
6,342 Posts
In my experience the Element's engine compartment does not get any dirtier than any other model. Spray from the tires mostly hits the back of the wheel well, and the outside rocker panel.

The E's steering gear is mounted higher than on most cars, hence this opening that you can see above the tires. The Civic and CRV from the same generation (around 2003) had the same geometry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.