Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any experiences with PC GPS software.
My wife wants a GPS unit and would be happy with my old Garmin. I recently bought a Lenovo S10 idea pad and plan to get a RAM mount. So instead of getting a new GPS I was thinking of getting the software for my S10.

I am looking at the following 3:
-Garmin Mobile PC $85
-Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009 $55
-DeLorme Earthmate $50

They all seem comparable in features.
Anyone have personal experience with these?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I am looking for any experiences with PC GPS software.
My wife wants a GPS unit and would be happy with my old Garmin. I recently bought a Lenovo S10 idea pad and plan to get a RAM mount. So instead of getting a new GPS I was thinking of getting the software for my S10.

I am looking at the following 3:
-Garmin Mobile PC $85
-Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009 $55
-DeLorme Earthmate $50

They all seem comparable in features.
Anyone have personal experience with these?
Get the delorme earthmate, Its a bit more money but it works well, Microsoft Streets and map crashes too much.
Make sure you get the GPS unit with the Delorme - it plugs into a USB port on your compter

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Go for MS streets and trips 2008. The 2009 has some issues.
Should be able find it pretty cheap. Free upgrades to the maps for life (I'm still running 2005 and get map updates every week:D)
Plus it'll have the voice function.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
i used TomTom with my WM6.... now that I upgraded to WM6.1 - I tried Garmin (so/so but cannot use my GPS instead activates my AGPS)...so currently giving iGuidance a try!

oh for PC..... dunno

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I can only add that I used to use strictly Delorme products until they decided to use their own map data instead of using something like NavTec. The dependability of their map data fell through the floor and since they're still doing it, you need to be wary of what they have now. When I left them, my own home town on a Delorme map was about a quarter mile out of place and missing many roads, although they thoughtfully filled the missing areas with completely fictional replacement roads. Most of Canada seemed to be in the same shape and when I tried to use it in south/central Florida, the routing tried have me turn off the side of a bridge and use the Intracoastal river like it was a road. We stopped using Delorme at work because the interface was the absolute worst case of confusing programing they could've come up with. I assume they simply HAVE to have fixed most of these problems by now. I use Streets&Trips now, not because of the interface, but because you can trust the NavTec derived maps. It doesn't matter how nice the product looks or how many bells & whistles it has if the maps themselves are undependable.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
To clarify a bit...We are running the latest Delorme on the computer, and get the updates online, so we always have the latest maps. We have had issues with the program telling us to take the shortest routes, but we learned not to get off the Interstate, just becasue it says to...we were routed through some wonderful (sarcasm) areas of Buffalo and Miami before we learned that one - the program, by default will try to put you on the shortest route, not necessarily the quickest...

So now we also have a TomTom, and find that the Delorme is great for routing on long trips, because it will put you on the shortest routes, but the TomTom seems to have better city maps, and will put you on major routes, and (mostly) avoids side streets. So we find it really good for city driving...

Every GPS is different, and they all have their quirks, but I've learned the best way to go, is not to rely 100% on them. Nothing beats mapping out your route before you leave, and making sure you adjust the route the program has assigned. I don't trust these things to always assign the best route, and they sure as heck don't know what the traffic is where I happen to be...so I think nothing of ignoring the directions sometimes, and taking an alternative route...and let the nav recalculate...lol

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hapyface, another alternative for PPC users is by Pharos GPS. I've used them for years and ALWAYS been pleased with their product. In fact I just bought a new Pharos 200 GPS, still getting used to it vs. my old dedicated unit, but I like some of the improvements.
It does look kinda funny though, I have 2 GPS units hooked up in my car right now, I guess I have no excuse whatsoever if I get lost:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hapyface, another alternative for PPC users is by Pharos GPS. I've used them for years and ALWAYS been pleased with their product. In fact I just bought a new Pharos 200 GPS, still getting used to it vs. my old dedicated unit, but I like some of the improvements.
It does look kinda funny though, I have 2 GPS units hooked up in my car right now, I guess I have no excuse whatsoever if I get lost:rolleyes:.
Originally I was going to use my PPC Titanium. But it is falling apart so fast I had to look for something else.

I found this site. It lists free or honorware for all types of systems. Pretty neat site.

http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts