Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sunk my element and and my engine is done, just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a good deal on an engine I'm pretty hard up for cash right now but I do need wheels!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
:(

Being from Winnipeg, I assume it happened because of the recent flooding.

Is the engine really dead (i.e. did you injest water through the air intake and bend or destroy internal parts) or did it just get submerged. If the latter, it may be salvageable but it will likely take a lot of work to disassemble and clean.

Because the engine is an Accord engine you might be able to find a rebuilt one fairly easily.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have bought several motors from HMO for swaps. Their motors are usually super clean inside and out. They list a 02-04 JDM CR-V longblock for $1100 plus shipping. Look HERE

·
Registered
520 Posts
tansome how do you know its toast? Is there a hole in the side of the block or oil pan? If not how many times did you try to crank it after it quit? I hit a larger then I thought puddle in my Teg & had a CAI & the car is slammed. It quit & I had to tow it home. The next day I pulled the plugs & fuse to the fuel pump & turned the motor over to clear the water. It cranked within 15 mins of fooling with it but I had the main berrings changed to be on the safe side.
Give us all the details as to what happened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
wellllll

I was driving down a gravel road by my hometown and came up over a blind hill to find a huge "lake" of flood water over two roads I tried to slow down but ended up rolling into the water anyways... when I tried to backup the vehicle stalled then wouldn't start. I assume the water was sucked up into my CAI. So I towed the vehicle to my mechanic's shop and left him a message explaining what happened. He didn't get the message until 3 days later when he was finally able to look at it he got alot of water out but eventually everythign seized up and he couldn't move it by hand.

Elements are not Submarines I guess :(

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Check with your insurance company. I know here in the U.S, that type of "damage" is covered. When I was a MINI owner, it was well known that driving a MINI Cooper at any speed, even into 4 inches of water could push water up into the hood and through the intake into the engine and hydro-lock it. With spring rains in Dallas flooding roadways, MINI Dealers always had 3 or 4 sitting in the service area, waiting for a new engine. All the ones in our MINI club (5 people) that this happened to, their auto insurance paid for the repairs.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
better remove the cai 1st.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
better remove the cai 1st.
Don't think it would matter. Not trying for warranty coverage, just insurance/damage payment. Two of the MINI owners in our club, with hydrolocked engines, had after market cai's. Insurance companies still just ruled it accidental and paid, even though the cai's are more prone to ingesting water. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead.

My question for some of you folks, on our E's, mine is a 04.?
When is it be the best time to replace the timing chain.(aka Belt) on the Element.

I was thinking of having it done to be on the safe side.
I have 166,000. on mine as of now and I want to keep her running in good shape still.
Or should I jus leave it as is.?. I do baby my E's with all of her maintained wants and needs.
I want to keep her running in tip top shape..
Thanks in advance for your answered reply.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts