Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone supply a bit of detail regarding the ease of installation for the keyless entry device? Skimming the online installation instruction left me with uncertainties about the removal of the panel under the steering. How easy was that? any tricks or traps that I need know?

Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh, no worries whatsoever!

The panel removes with two finger-tightened toggles. No tools needed there.

The unit bolts into a hole that's pretty obvious, if a bit interesting to reach if you're a big guy like me. Then just attach the cable, done! Most folks who are doing it dont' even bother to disconnect the battery. Just pull thep anel, bolt it up, plugit in and reinstall the panel. Done! 10 mins.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Under Do-it yourself thread, Element J posted some wonderful pics on how to do this.

I just want to add if you have an EX:

Get your audio systems security code. You will have to have this info to reset the security on your audio or it will not work.

You will have to run the power windows all the way down, then all the way up and hold it for a couple of seconds to reset the automatic windows.

You will need to program your keyless entry system to your keys.

And last tip: Lay your driver's seat all the way down so you can easily slide up under there.

Most of these are explained in the directions that come with the remote system.

Good luck - it was very easy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dealer says $195 to install the keyless... if it's really that easy I could save myself the $95 I guess! Where does one get the parts and such to do it? Can I get them from the dealer when I start my lease?

Drew

·
Registered
352 Posts
Get your kit from H and A, here at this website. has everything in it (except wrench) that you need to install it. This thing is very easy and fool proof to install. Probably will take you all of 15 minutes to install and program. 95 bucks for your dealer to install that's nuts - even at $80/hr shop rate!!!! I would hope his technicians aren't so stupid it takes them over an hour to install it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Took me longer to round up my flashlight & a 10mm socket than the actual installation. I'm no mechanical wiz - changing a flat tire is about the limit of my automotive expertise - so if I can handle the keyless install, anyone can!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeah, it was very easy. especially when i took my laptop out front (yeah airport!) and looked at Element J's pictures while I installed it. The drawing that came with the part wasn't very good, but Element J's pics were great. :D

Thanks to him for the help!

Shawn

·
Registered
9 Posts
It took me longer to find the right place to mount the bracket than anything else. I would agree that the diagrams supplied are not very good. The bracket is almost directly over where my left foot usually rests when driving - IMO not clear from the diagram.

Once found, a very easy install. The access panel has to be easy to remove & replace since that's where all the fuses are.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am mechanically inept and installed mine today in about 15 minutes including programming. I recommend (if you are a clod like me) the following:

1. Read the instructions and Element J's postings several times. The instructions show more clearly how the module mounts on the bracket.

2. Programming is the most difficult. Read the instructions several times. It may help to have someone read the 13 steps to you while you do the programing.

3. The first 12 steps : ) must be done within 5 seconds for each step.

4. The 13th step must be completed within 10 seconds. No problem.

5. The way I read the 12th step instructions, I thought it said to do steps 2 through 12 Again. Nope. Go directly from 12 to 13.

6. Steps 1 through 12 are done with only one of the remotes. On step 13, you push lock with each of the remotes. That programs both of them.

7. I used my Swiss Arm knife (otherwise known as the Element of knives) to cut the blue tape holding the green 5 pin plug. I also (mistakenly) cut some blue tape holding another plug (alarm?) but no harm.

8. You need a 10mm socket with about a 4 inch extension - well, you can probably do it with your fingers, but the socket makes it easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed a keyless remote myself.
NO PROBLEM!
Hardest part was finding the radio security code.
Got an Element cap in the same box, took longer to adjust
it than to install the remote.

ww

·
Registered
97 Posts
The installation was a snap, as everyone says. There is a bolt hole up high on the left side of the steering wheel, under the dash, where the unit is attached. A small flashlight is a must to see it. The plug is nearby under the blue tape. HOWEVER, I did NOT program my keyless system, because it worked great right out of the box. It is now attached to the same key ring as my ignition key, which still works fine. Try it before you reprogram. I suspect you only have to do that if you ever get a new sender unit to replace and lost or damaged one. BTW, I got mine from H and A.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just installed mine over the weekend, its a cakewalk. The hardest part is turn the ignition on & off several times and hitting the button. You do NOT need to unplug the battery. If you do that, you will have to reprogram your windows, radio, etc. Of course, I say that hoping you don't electrocute yourself amongst on those wires under the dash...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks E-Rich ... great comment! :D
I installed my keyless entry over the weekend ... and it was incredibly easy.

I left the power on, plugged it in, and it worked -- no programming needed whatsoever.

What a breeze.

I can't believe they didn't put this on the card as std. equipment -- makes you wonder. I'm sure they make a fortune installing this stuff -- and the stuff is marked up so much (at the dealers) to begin with.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Anyone know the best priced keyless system. Im ready to buy one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just got done installing my keyless entry. I had ten minutes of free time at work, so I went out and did it. Piece of cake. Only one problem: my Element ate my 10mm socket! I was laying on my back tightening up the bolt, and the socket fell off the extender arm. I looked everywhere! :?

But the keyless entry works great. Add that to the fact that I installed my do-it-yourself seatback bungies, and it was an "E"xcellent day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[quote:fb43731f53="onejamesy"]Can someone supply a bit of detail regarding the ease of installation for the keyless entry device? Skimming the online installation instruction left me with uncertainties about the removal of the panel under the steering. How easy was that? any tricks or traps that I need know?

Thank you![/quote:fb43731f53]
:roll: Easier then falling asleep after an all night drunk! to install the keyless!

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
I didnt have my E home 5 minutes and i was already taking the dash apart to install the keyless.Watch out for a sheet metal paned under the dash..Nice sharp edges.Toatl time including programming was less than 20 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[quote:a93378c20d="E-Rich"]HOWEVER, I did NOT program my keyless system, because it worked great right out of the box. It is now attached to the same key ring as my ignition key, which still works fine. Try it before you reprogram. I suspect you only have to do that if you ever get a new sender unit to replace and lost or damaged one.[/quote:a93378c20d]

Great tip, mine worked right out of the box too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You're welcome. I just thot I would try it the easy way for a change, and it worked. Glad to save someone else the trouble too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts