Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARGGG....Hit a pole at very slow speed. No airbag deployment. Hood, radiator pushed in. Engine ran and drove it off the flat bed. Leaked tranny and radiator fluid. Because of the tranny fluid was told it was totaled. Obviously it is well loved and kills me to let it go. Been sitting for a year. First drive by offered $1K, second offer doubled $2K. The interior is rough (lots of dogs/cargo) Local shops want to see it to quote. Only quote from photos was $3K-$5K. Of 8 shops sent info, 2 replied. I have fair mechanical skills and tempted to tear it apart myself. Would love to replace it but not currently able financially. Thanks for any input.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive side marker light
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car Grille
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
86 Posts
The damage appears minor.

Pulling the front bumper cover and assessing the damage is good advice. You don't have anything to lose.
There are plenty of YouTube videos on pulling the bumper cover. It isn't hard once you see how.

The lower brace between the frame horns is bent, requiring straightening. The radiator support bracket(s) that goes across the top all bolt in and are easily removed and replaced (fasteners may be rusty though). If the attachment points are bent they can be straightened with some persuasion
As mentioned, the radiator, A/C condenser, bumper cover, hood (latch assembly) and likely the cooling fans are needed.
Most can sourced from a salvage yard, or Rock Auto

Check price and availability of those parts before you start. If it isn't affordable, let it go.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,998 Posts
Based on your description, once repaired your Element in the real world is worth about $4000 to maybe $4500 tops. (To make it worth any more would require an even larger investment to fix up your interior and so forth.)

So, the only way it is financially practical to save it is if you buy the parts used and do the work your self.

Otherwise, I agree with HondaTech93: Take the $2000 and search for another Element. Even at the low end of $3000 to pay a shop to do the repairs doesn't work out money wise.

It's hard to be practical and separate the emotion in a situation like this, but in the end it would be best to either DIY or take the $2000 offer.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but the unknown factor to consider is rust. Unfortunately, if that were mine, I'd have to walk away, since my radiator support is in bad shape after 16 NE winters. As others have mentioned, you won't know what you are in for, unless you start tearing into. GL!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pull off the pop bolts and remove the cover assembly and look down.

If the frame is ok you could get parts from junk yards/ebay/amazon and fix. Better to fix a car you know than buy a new used with a world of mystery. I paid over half the value of my E for a new rack a month ago. With the new rack the drive is very tight and nice.

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
504 Posts
There a couple that color in the Cincinnati area - where are you?
Heck, I own a couple Elements in the Cincinnati area that are that color! 🤣

I certainly have a hood that isn’t perfect (great paint, but was slammed by PO with hand dents) but is in better shape than yours, let me know if you’re close to Cincinnati... maybe we can work something out...

Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.