Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been debating about getting a ski rack. Then I started looking at my hitch mounted carrier and I got an idea. Then I was bored and went to Lowes.

I'm not sure how great this is going to work out. I've got my old beatup skis on there now in case they fall out. I don't care if they get damaged or stolen while I'm out and about. I was going to put them on the side of the road with a FREE sign anyway.

If anybody knows a better way to secure the skis let me know. I'm sure giant twist ties and bungee cords are not the best.

http://twitpic.com/10jgdo

http://twitpic.com/10jhxu

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually put mine inside but I thought this might be a way to take more people to the mountain.

They didn't fall off on my trip to the movies tonight and nobody stole them. I would never leave my new skis on there at the movies unsecured but these are so old that people probably wouldn't go through the effort. It seems to be a pretty solid setup so far.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i don't like my skis getting all goobed up with road salt and such, and i'd be wierded out about them getting scratched up against the metal of the rack too. i also wouldn't like having my hitch rack in the way of getting to my junk in the back... mainly all my other ski gear.

but, different strokes for different folks! if it works for you... rock on!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not bad.

Its really not that ghetto. My only word of advice/caution; be really certain there is no chance of slippage.

I have witnessed on two occasions, people who have done something similar and unknowingly dragged their tails on the highway for long distance (sparks flying), without knowing it. 185cm VOLKLs' leave NY......165cm VOLKLs' arrive in VT. Not good.

Depending how long your boards are...I my go for the horizontal mounting instead. Provided they do not stick out beyond the side of your car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ghetto rack, NOT.

I think it rocks, dual use out of the hitch basket. My only concern is the wobble the mount creates for the hitch basket, there are threaded lock systems that eliminate the wobble. Road dirt and gunk, who cares, skis are waterproof. Have some welding done for next time, creatre slots for the tails and buckets to hold 'em in place, locking is easliy done.

·
Banned
395 Posts
I once drove away with 6 prs of skis in a yakima rack on the roof.... 5 were demo skis from a local ski shop and one pair were mine. apparently everyone thought somebody else would close the rack....about halfway to the pub we were heading to I heard a loud crash and looked in the mirror..... skis everywhere behind us. the only pair still on the roof were mine... the old Marker MRR binding heel piece kept them from going off..... it was a long time ago because that binding was new.
didn't do too much damage to any of the skis.... mostly cosmetic and they were demos anyway.
glad that one of the guys with us that day was the manager from the shop that the demos were from.
the really funny thing was that we all still had our ski boots on.... used to drive a manual with my boots on.... it was a really long time ago and I have since matured.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put them horizontal and it's better. I lowered the basket to horizontal and strapped the skis in the basket, then raised it back up. Seems more secure and less scary. I could always leave the basket down but then they'd be totally covered in the grime. I'm liking the skis horizontal on a vertical basket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts