Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I used to drive a Prius and my CB would just fit in the little cubby below the stereo. Well, for everybody who owns an Element and wishes to mount their CB radio, I have found a solution! As this is my parents car, I could not drill any holes, period. So what do you use? Velcro! I own a Uniden Pro510XL, pretty small in size but just big enough to cause problems :)

Well, after trying different mock-ups to where to put the CB (i.e. the patch above the sub., a center console stand, etc.), I put mine right up on the dash. The smooth plastic piece above the radio. I used rubbing alcohol*. Then I put the rough side of the velcro on the dash, and put the soft side on the mounting bracket of the CB. Stick it to the man, and boom, you have mounted you CB.
Now, all you need to do is route the wires from the antenna and power. As this is SEMI-permanent, I didn't hard-wire the power, I have it going to a 3-space power adapter.
As for the antenna, I have a cheap radio-shack magnet mount antenna (don't kill me, I am upgrading!!!). So I routed the wire thru the moonroof and down the rear-drivers side piller and down under my carpets to the center console and up the dash.
I will post pics tomorrow as it is now 10:00pm here in VA. I hope this helps someone! It took me about 30mins to figure out where/how to mount this little booger. Hope I can save someone that 30 mins...

*do NOT use rubbing alcohol to clean the surface, it will take off the silver coat, mistake I didn't realize until after I had done it :/

Happy Driving to All!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I understand not making the installation permanent, but only holding a CB on the top of the dash with velcro can be extremely dangerous in an accident. You may want to reconsider the location if you arent going to secure it permanently.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I understand not making the installation permanent, but only holding a CB on the top of the dash with velcro can be extremely dangerous in an accident. You may want to reconsider the location if you arent going to secure it permanently.
Agreed, that thing will become a projectile in an accident and someone's going to have a radio installed in their skull if you're going more than 15 mph. There are other places you could put the CB that would be safer, or consider that if you mount it permanently with screws and whatnot, all you have to do when it's time to give the car back is buy your parents a piece of replacement trim which might cost $30-$40.

Heck, buy the replacement right now and give it to them, before you start drilling holes. Explain that it's not safe for you to just use Velcro. They love you, they'll understand :grin:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Why would it be less safe to attach a CB radio with velcro versus say an E-Pass or EZPass?

BTW I wouldn't be concerned about the velcro becoming un-stuck from itself but the glue on the velcro to the dash. I hope your using velcro intended for a high heat/direct sun application.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Please pull off the velcro and bolt it somewhere. If you have a rollover accident, it will come off and go wherever it wants. As a firefighter, I have seen what loose things do to people in an accident. Please move it.

A nice place to mount it is the front vertical edge of the console. Lots of room to bolt the bracket onto it. You can pop the console out and do all the drilling and wrenching on the workbench. I mounted 2 heavy commercial radios there in an 05 and 09. Both were solid and secure. Also his a diplexer under the console so I could use one antenna for both radios.

If you decide to do it like that, here are a couple of hints...
Put some tape on the console and mark the far left and right holes. Do the drilling for those two first, then mount the bracket temporarily, and mark and drill the other holes to be an exact fit.
Use the biggest washers inside that will fit.
Once the bracket is in place, use hot melt glue to fill the entire area inside the front of the console. Go on all the nuts but not on the bolt's threads. Allows you to remove the bracket later without pulling out the console. Plus it stiffens it up a lot.
When test fitting, pull the emergency brake handle to check clearances.

For the antenna, I fished it back to the spare tire under the carpet. Then out the back at the bottom of the tailgate - picked the lowest spot so water drips down and away, not into the car. Then to the top of the rear window. A trunk mount NMO fits on the top edge. Not the long edge going side to side, but on the 3 inch short edge running parallel with the sides of the car. That spot give the needed clearance to open the window without hitting the roof.
Power goes to the door sill, under the plastic piece, to the fuse block.

Andy

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Why would it be less safe to attach a CB radio with velcro versus say an E-Pass or EZPass?

BTW I wouldn't be concerned about the velcro becoming un-stuck from itself but the glue on the velcro to the dash. I hope your using velcro intended for a high heat/direct sun application.
Weight. Have you picked up a CB? Quite a bit of difference there.

We dont need the to get turned into a big debate about the safety, or lack there of, in mounting this with velcro. It was more of a suggestion for the OP and his/her passenger's safety. Lets leave it at that and offer suggestions for alternatives as Andy did.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, thank you all! I never even gave safety a consideration. I will remove it today. I need to replace that piece anyway, last owner was a 5 dog owner....Anywhos, thanks again!

Thanks,
Rob
I am a guy, FYI...if you didnt get it from the name :)

P.S. how can I remove that piece of trim above the radio to bolt the CB in place? Any threads on that??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Okay, so I got the "okay" to drill holes.
I mounted it above the sub. using the mounting plate provided.

Then I ran the power cable to the floor and around the sub box.

I attached the ground wire to a bolt holding the gas pedal to the firewall I used the add-a-circuit.

I have just got back from the auto-store for the third time, ughhhh...
Hopefully I can have this thing up and running by 8pm tonight. But Murphy is always by my side!

Finished Product!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, the pics won't work so, here they are...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts