Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to get this forum's opinion on the current condition of my '06 serpentine belt and disc brake calipers (both original AFAIK), and what to watch/look for during routine inspections.

My brake pads still have good life left (6-7mm), does it look like I would still be able to re-use the same calipers at my next pad and/or rotor replacement?

Serpentine Belt:
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

Brake Calipers:
Automotive tire Wood Sculpture Art Statue

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Wood Gas Auto part Metal Machine

Thank you EOC.

· Registered
545 Posts
Some small cracks so probably time. Once they get that slick shiny look on the outside its about time. Spray them down and wire brush that crud off. They just look really dirty to me

· Registered
310 Posts
What is your mileage on the current belt? Usually, you would replace the belt if you started to see any cracking of the ribs on the ribbed side of the belt, and or fraying on the edges. Yours actually doesn't look bad from the pictures. When you do replace the belt, don't pay the Honda dealer price, the belt is made by Bando and part number 7PK1765 can be purchased elsewhere for half the cost of the dealer.

As far as the calipers, they look pretty ratty and likely in need of service. What is most important, is the condition and operation of the two slider pins ( under the rubber boots on the caliper bolts ). They need to be greased/serviced so they slide back and forth freely. I would definitely take the caliper off and clean and relube everything, and wire brush the caliper off. Also, make sure you can get the bleeder screw open. Here's a decent basic how-to on the front brakes.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some small cracks so probably time. Once they get that slick shiny look on the outside its about time. Spray them down and wire brush that crud off. They just look really dirty to me
Probably time to replace the belt or calipers? What products and/or methods would you use to spray & brush them?

What is your mileage on the current belt? Usually, you would replace the belt if you started to see any cracking of the ribs on the ribbed side of the belt, and or fraying on the edges. Yours actually doesn't look bad from the pictures. When you do replace the belt, don't pay the Honda dealer price, the belt is made by Bando and part number 7PK1765 can be purchased elsewhere for half the cost of the dealer.

As far as the calipers, they look pretty ratty and likely in need of service. What is most important, is the condition and operation of the two slider pins ( under the rubber boots on the caliper bolts ). They need to be greased/serviced so they slide back and forth freely. I would definitely take the caliper off and clean and relube everything, and wire brush the caliper off. Also, make sure you can get the bleeder screw open. Here's a decent basic how-to on the front brakes.

Both the serpentine belt and calipers are original AFAIK (~120-121K miles). For the slider pins, are you talking about the 2 (top & bottom) pins starting at 7:55 of the video?

Wire brush and caliper paint does wonders.

View attachment 218584
Holy cow that's amazing! What specific products and/or methods did you use to get them that clean? Did you take the calipers off first to brush them?

If it’s not broke don’t fix it.
Yeah currently brakes feel fine, no loss of stopping power or anything, and I just checked my pad thicknesses (all >6-7mm). Just wondering if the calipers need to be replaced at the next expected brake service, or they can still be re-used.

Also, is it expected to replace both the pads and rotor at the same intervals?

· Registered
310 Posts
Both the serpentine belt and calipers are original AFAIK (~120-121K miles). For the slider pins, are you talking about the 2 (top & bottom) pins starting at 7:55 of the video?

Yes, those need to slide nice and freely.

If there are no grooves or lip on the rotor, than not necessarily required to replace the rotors. However, I find the pads and rotors on the E to not have a long life when compared to other brakes I have had experience with. As a result, by the time I do pads, I usually need to do the rotors as well. YMMV.

· Registered
545 Posts
Probably time to replace the belt or calipers? What products and/or methods would you use to spray & brush them?

Holy cow that's amazing! What specific products and/or methods did you use to get them that clean? Did you take the calipers off first to brush them?

Yeah currently brakes feel fine, no loss of stopping power or anything, and I just checked my pad thicknesses (all >6-7mm). Just wondering if the calipers need to be replaced at the next expected brake service, or they can still be re-used.

Spray them with a good cleaner and use a wire brush to scrape the dirt and whatever else is there away. Spray them with caliper paint.
Flushing brake fluid means replacing it all

· Registered
257 Posts
Calipers are good until they fail. As long as your braking is even and the wear on your rotors is even they are working fine. You can service them and lubricate the pins and make sure your fluid level is fine. Serpentine belt will look glossy and start cracking when it’s time to replace it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts