Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 EX Auto with approx. 56000 miles. Last week I noticed that the serpentine belt was leaving rubber deposits on the idler pulley and that the belt was showing some wear down the middle of the backside of the belt. Otherwise the belt seemed to be in great shape. I took it to the local honda dealer in Round Rock, TX and they said that the belt seemed OK other than the wear on the back side and that there was no problem with the tention or bearing of the idler pulley. They recommended replacing the belt but warned that because of the heat the new belt may also leave rubber deposits. The new belt is also leaving deposits after only a 100 miles or so since replacement

I also have a 2007 Accord 4cyl with 57,000 miles and it shows no wear on the belt. I know that the element turns the engine faster and works harder because of the weight and wind resisdence but I can't understant why the belt would take such a beating.

Have any of you had this problem?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well I don't know how much help this will be... but I also have a 2005 EX and my belt is definitely showing wear but it isn't leaving any deposits. One of my friends is a mechanic and he recently took a look at it and said that it's not a definite need to replace now but probably soon. Mine looks "dry" and is showing lots of wear. But definitely no deposits. Interested in seeing what other people say about that though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it back to the dealer today after 200+ miles with the new belt and the shop foreman looked at it and said not to worry - "we see it all the time". I told him that I was leaving for California tomorrow and that if it left me beside the road in West Texas somewhere I would think of him.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I mentioned this exact condition in my thread for "Pseudo-Cricket" noise coming from my 30k old E. I knew there was an intermittent slight chirp somewhere on the belt but not where.

Trip to the dealer last week...tech showed me the belt deposits just as you describe...he replaced the tensioner pulley and the belt under warranty.

I haven't looked for any new signs of wear yet (about 400 miles put on since repair) but the "chirp" is definitely gone.

The wear was slight...but I understand your thoughts for keeping an eye on it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I mentioned this exact condition in my thread for "Pseudo-Cricket" noise coming from my 30k old E. I knew there was an intermittent slight chirp somewhere on the belt but not where.

Trip to the dealer last week...tech showed me the belt deposits just as you describe...he replaced the tensioner pulley and the belt under warranty.

I haven't looked for any new signs of wear yet (about 400 miles put on since repair) but the "chirp" is definitely gone.

The wear was slight...but I understand your thoughts for keeping an eye on it.
When I was at 30K, I saw the same thing, deposits on the pulley. One dealer in Klamath Falls OR wouldn't do anything. The dealer in Monterey CA, replaced the pulley and the belt under warranty. So, that seems to be a dealer specific thing. Some will do it, some won't. If you are stopping anywhere on your journey, pull into a dealer and ask them to do it under warranty. You might get lucky.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I am way past the warranty period. I have now driven the car to California and have been checking the belt periodically. So far so good but the belt is showing some wear after only 2000 miles or so, but not enough to be really worry some yet. I'll rethink the matter after I get back to Texas late next week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts