Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

My Element is nearing 100k and its in need of changing the Serpentine belt soon. I took the car to the dealer after the SRS light came on and asked for a quote on the belt change: $195:confused: WTF??? Seriously, in this economy, you'd think automakers would have learned their lesson. Anyway, I broke it down to this:

Belt (Honda Original): $30
Honda Tech: $25/hour
Time required: 45 mins with right tools.

So they are going to make $150 for one hour???? Thats stupidity.
I've decided to change it myself. THing is, I used to own Pontiac Grand-Am 94, and changing the belt on that thing was just a hassle. I had the Serpentine belt tool which looks like the Lysle, and undid the tensioner. I was able to get the belt off easily, but putting back on was another story. I had to stretch the SOB so hardto get it onto the alternator it was not funny. I was crying at the end. So, with this in mind, for those of you who have changed the Belt before, how hard was it to put it on? Did you have to stretch it a heck of a lot?

Anyway, Im thinking of purchasing a Gator belt and was wondering if that was anything compared to the ones HANDA sells. Dont wanna wait for shipping.

Thanks,

Im planning to do it this weekend provided that the SRS light has been fixed.

Dan

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Pretty sure Box would have mentioned it if it was a pain in the ass to install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just did this. What a PITA. There is barely enough space between the engine and the sidewall to snake the belt around. I made a special tool by welding a 14mm wrench to a piece of 1" by 1/8" steel strap. Bent the strap to the required shape by cutting slots in it, bending it at the slots and rewelding it. At the end, I welded a handle made of three pieces of strap welded together.

But it was still a PITA. The new belt was shorter than the old one, which had been in the car since 2008. I had to keep cutting and welding more slots to get the tensioner up enough. Finally, I had to persuade the belt over the top pulley - while holding tension on the tool - with a soft hammer.
Now my hands hurt :).

·
Registered
Honda Element 2008 EX
4 Posts
I used a offset box wrench with 14mm on one side and a 15mm on the other. The 14mm fit the tensioner and a 1/2 inch breaker bar fit perfectly in the 15mm end.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi,
It is a PIA to me but doable.
The Dealer is ripping you off.
Just pull the right front wheel off, remove the plastic cover then use the 2 wrench method on the tensioner.
A pain but not that bad once you have done it before.
Be advised your 110,000 mile service is coming up which among other things includes a valve adjust!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Between a crv and an element, I believe Ive changed the serpentine belts 6-7 times.

I was never crying because it was hard to stretch the belt onto the pulleys. It can be frustrating trying to snake the new belt into position between all the pulleys though, the clearance is fairly tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts