Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my serpentine replaced at the dealer. Is it normal to replace the tensioner at the same time as the belt itself.

Im not a mechanic. But i thought it was normal practice to do that.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
572 Posts
its not normal to change the tensioner unless its not free-moving and has plenty of tension. USUALLY... they're a lifetime part.

american cars... different story.

·
Registered
572 Posts
in the older H motor's.. (accords), the B, and D series motors... (timing belts) it was common practice to change the water pump and timing belt tensioner because of the fact it was so hard to get to. labor is outragous.

i don't think there's a millage suggested on belts, its really rated on condition. the older timing belts were claimed to be in the 80-100K range.. but only recommended since it wasn't visible until dissembled.

we lucked out with the K motors and timing CHIANS.. best thing since sliced bread. they do wear, but personally, ive never heard of a timing chain breaking, or wearing out.

so since we don't have to worry about our chains.. maintenance is left to serpentine belt, and waterpump/thermostat.

even the waterpump or the thermostat don't have a life expectancy.. so i wouldn't worry about it.. sounds crappy, but your going to have to wait until it breaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts