Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
ADAMSTL: Good to hear from you! :D I need a deputy to "help" the newbies find their way to the "search" button.:lol:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Deputy

IRV said:
ADAMSTL: Good to hear from you! :D I need a deputy to "help" the newbies find their way to the "search" button.:lol:
Does this mean I have been Deputized??:D It is good to be back.:) I have passed the Eco-Challenge 2006!:cool:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Cards

T Mac said:
For those who saw how great Busch Stadium looks in good weather, take a look at this terrible accident where a woman gets injured when a trash can comes flying through a breeze way during the storm last week...http://www.break.com/index/cardinals_trash_can_take_out.html
This reminds me....HOW ABOUT THEM CARDS!!!!!?:cool:
P.S. All the STL people have been assisting each other out during this time of need. Lots of good people here....:)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
250,000 more to go.

ADAMLSTL said:
All is ok now.. Power went out Wed. Evening while I was at work (which also went to generators! - Fun nite). I drove the E that nite and my neighborhood was black-out! Lots of trees in the road.. Glad I have an E W/4WD! Secured the family. Got out my guns 12 and SKS (Just in case). We moved base to the basement (cool there). Powerless...:-(
Thursday, I hooked up to my neighbors power generator next door. Kept the fridge on and 2 fans. Cold showers RULE!
Friday morn I got a generator from my brother a 6,280 Watt MONSTER and loaded it into the back of the E. Got it home plugged in as did my other neighbors. This gave us TV/DVD nice change. :rolleyes: Friday 10:45 PM - BAM.. lites on! Turned on the attic fan and cleared out leftover heat! Then came my A/C!!!! YES....:) P.S. The neighbor next door and on down = No power still. They plugged into my house.
Saturday, I took the generator to my grandparents home (lost power Friday) and got them all set up with fans..etc...Then we went to the International fest in Tower Grove Park.. Good times... Good food... Cool day X2....:cool:
Sunday, Worn out & back to work...
We were lucky and the H2O was never an issue....8)

Thanks for thinking of us during this Eco-challEngE EOC!:cool:
The latest: 250,000 people still without power...:-|
My grandparents......Have power back !!!!!!!:grin:

P.S. thanks tango. ...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not quite as dramatic but.....

For us whimpy northwesterners who can't survive anything over 85 degrees, out 100 degree+ heat wave is just killing us. Don't forget--most homes up here DO NOT have air conditioners. Furnaces to heat the state of Alaska, but A/C's? No. Which is why when this heat hit every single Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, Target, etc, etc etc ran out of what little AC and fan stock they have. Shelves are bare.

Which brings us to the Element. Heat was so bad last night that I drove up to the woods near my house and turned the E's AC to high. Let the car get good and cold, then cracked the windows a bit, dropped the drivers seat to a full recline and fell asleep. Boy was I comfortable. An hour or so later, the chill wore off, so I drove home with AC cranked high. Slept in my driveway until the chill wore off. By then it was nearly two in the morning, so I was dead sleepy--went into my horribly hot house and crashed.

Thank you Element! And god, please turn down the heat SOON!!!! Don't know how the rest of you survive this kind of weather (and DON'T EVEN talk to me if you are from Texas)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yep, us Texans have the AC systems to match your Heat systems - we could pretty much refrigerate the entire state. You don't have AC and our house has 3 separate AC units......but unlike you, with a few days of really hot weather, our "summer" lasts from April till Nov.
What's really funny (at least to me) is that most stores, theatres, restaurants etc are kept SOOO COLD that I routinely wear a sweater of jacket in July. Ah yes, some years the kids trick-or-treat and go see Santa in shorts.
Our 1st 100 degree day this year was in April and we just had 8 days straight of 103-106 highs and most nights at 10PM it was still like 95 out. Today was a "cool" (by our standards) and pleasant 94 high and it's cooled down to a darn-near chilly 82 at 1AM.
Sleeping (or trying to) when it's hot and sticky is awful. When it's really hot you can wet down a sheet and hang it in front of a fan or put ice cubes in your hot water bottle. Cold (And I mean COLD) showers help too.
I'll remind you of this during your damp and chilly winter when you would kill for some warm sunshine and are huddling around your fireplace/wood stove. Every place has it's perfect season - for sure, summer isn't ours and winter isn't yours ;-)
Hope you catch a break soon!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
power...

spdrcr5 said:
Adam, glad to hear you are both ok.

Spoke with my Sister last night who lives in the LA area... temps there were 110-115*F! Their A/C broke and my bro-in-law has food poisoning so they went to a hotel. Good thing she works for Hilton and was able to get a room that takes pets.
Thanks Spdrcr5. Last I heard about 200,000 people still out of power...:-( It was HOT today...high 90s whew...
My wife wants us to move off the GRID....someday...8)

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
ADAMLSTL said:
Thanks Spdrcr5. Last I heard about 200,000 people still out of power...:-( It was HOT today...high 90s whew...
My wife wants us to move off the GRID....someday...8)
Seriously... when we bought our house in Creve Coeur 10 years ago, it wasn't too long before I bought a 5KW generator. There was an extended outage due to winter weather in the Florissant area, and I more or less concluded then that there was problem with widespread minor damage to the power network - just not enough people to fix it quickly. I didn't want to be stuck in freezing temps not able to run the blower on the furnace.

But that was in the Union Electric days. Along comes the Ameren restructuring, and repair staffing is "streamlined" - fewer local crews, and more "quick response" (yeah, right) reassignment from other regions. It wasn't long after that, that I started noticing that the spring/summer storm outages were hitting more people and lasting longer.

One of the problems that STL is having right now is that Friday's tornadoes battered areas of Illinois (some within 10 miles of us), so Ameren's Illinois crews were "called home" to fix the big outages on this side. So St. Louis was still left with 300-400,000 people out, and half the repair crews they started with.

So you have the bottom line: be prepared to go "off-grid", temporary or permanent. The power company is simply no longer reliable due to their own management practices, and week-long outages are to be considered "the new normal".

(BTW, now's a good time to "go solar" or whatever alt. energy source you prefer. You can get 30% of your cost in federal tax credits, up to $3000. I don't know about Missouri, but Illinois has another 30% grant available, up to $10,000. I will likely put panels up next spring provided my grant application is accepted.)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Off the grid

We will be off the grid I hope within the next 10 years....:rolleyes:
FYI...My next door neighbors on down have power now....:cool:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts