Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! My '03 Element has some violent shaking coming from the right front when I go over 40 mph and I'm making a slight left turn/bend on the highway. I thought I was super smart and had both lower control arms replaced...I had that problem with an old BMW 7 series I had and it fixed the problem. It didn't fix THIS problem. Could it be the strut? I'm the original owner with 156k miles and I've never replaced the struts or the rear shocks. I don't go off road whatsoever.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Could be the strut, wheel bearing, axle, ... You need to do some trouble shooting. First thing is to raise the right front wheel and check for anything obviously wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. The motor mounts were changed a little less than a year ago. I’ll certainly re-check them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had a significant front end shake at constant speeds around 40 that goes away when the throttle is released or depressed? Could this be similar? I can't reproduce what starts it other than maintaining a constant speed and sometimes a small bump might start it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also around 150k on odo. When hwy speeds between 60-75 and steering left on long curve, the steering wheel starts to shake pretty bad . These are new tires and I even tried reversing left to right wheel placement & still has the same symptoms. Seems like when driver wheel is unweighted in the slight turn left, it allows wheel to bounce or shake. I even took wheels to be rebalanced and look for true-ness, all ok. Also looked at tie rod ends for play, none. Jacked up driver wheel & found no play top to bottom and side to side.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EX
104 Posts
I'm currently having the same issue. It happens above 40 MPH or so. At first I thought rear differential based on reading about similar shaking other E owners have experienced. But later I realized it was doing it whether I was on the gas, off the gas, in drive, in neutral, turning, going straight, etc. I later noticed my the rubber in my passenger front strut mount is completely torn so I suspect that's the cause. Perhaps it's the same for you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey there! My '03 Element has some violent shaking coming from the right front when I go over 40 mph and I'm making a slight left turn/bend on the highway. I thought I was super smart and had both lower control arms replaced...I had that problem with an old BMW 7 series I had and it fixed the problem. It didn't fix THIS problem. Could it be the strut? I'm the original owner with 156k miles and I've never replaced the struts or the rear shocks. I don't go off road whatsoever.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m taking the “Toaster” to a drive line shop on Wednesday. I’ll keep you updated if we find the actual problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got the issue taken care of. The drive line guys couldn't find anything so I just had my buddy replace the struts. Bang!!! Problem solved. That was my first thought after I replaced the control arms. Hope this helps out. Thanks for the replies to help out. Much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts