Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the Element be towed in this situation? Underlying this is a total problem of new battery but no power anywhere in the car. Perhaps lack of power is is locking the shift. I tried the shift release, but with no power to the ignition, nothing worked.
If I have to, should it be towed on a flatbed? Will the wheels even move with the shift in this position?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Can the Element be towed in this situation? Underlying this is a total problem of new battery but no power anywhere in the car. Perhaps lack of power is is locking the shift. I tried the shift release, but with no power to the ignition, nothing worked.
If I have to, should it be towed on a flatbed? Will the wheels even move with the shift in this position?
First off - are any of the fuses burned out under the hood? Do you have any idea WHY there's no power? It might be possible to pull the trim off around the shift lever and disconnect it. A good tow driver might have an idea there, but... See below.

Every time I've seen this come up in the past, the impound drivers are marvels at squirming underneath the vehicle and disconnecting the shift lever from the trans. Frankly, I don't know how they do it except that every driver I've ever seen either was built like a beanpole or - being forewarned, they brought an assistant along who was. Usually, it's just a matter of getting the vehicle up on to a flatbed.

The alternative is to stick a dolly under the rear wheels while the front lays in the cradle. Of course, if it's a regular impound and they don't feel like it, they'll just cradle one set of wheels and let the other set chew on circumstances until it's resolved.

With the rising percentage of all wheel drive cars, it happens a lot and they're used to it. I don't know how far you could go before the clutches in the rear axle burn up in a Honda but I doubt it's very far.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My Element was towed on a flatbed. Was told that the standard method of towing wasn't good for it. I hope this helps.
The poster has a two wheel drive version - wouldn't be a problem this time. The four wheel drive versions can't be towed with one set of wheels up because the mechanism that locks the two axles together is purely mechanical and relies on one axle moving at a different speed than the other one - such as one set of wheels up in a cradle (fixed) and the other set rotating on the road. You can tow it with all four wheels down or all four wheels up... although the traction from the OEM Goodyear Wrangler tires was SOOOO bad that you probably could get away with it if the road was wet. "Jus like butter..."

·
Registered
272 Posts
You stepping on the brake when you try?
That little plastic cover next to the shifter has an override/disconnect in it as well, i believe. Looks like half inch oval with a slot next to it..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.