Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I plan on buying an Element in the next 2 months. I love the 4WD EX in Sunset Orange. My only question is, should I get an automatic or stick???

When are the 2004 due out???

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Depends on what kind of driving you do and what kind of traffic you encounter. I have a VW GTI that is manual and I love it for it's "race car" aspects, but hate having to drive it in stop and go traffic. Took it on a long trip and through Atlanta it got quite tiresome. I decided to go with automatic for my Element because I knew it would most likely end up being the primary vehicle for long trips. I enjoy when I get stuck in city traffic not having to constantly shift. It's all in what you are seeking. Also, many would tell you that if you want a little more oomph out of your E you can get that more easily out of the manual. You can get a little more torque. Not really that much of an issue if you aren't looking for a powerhorse. I would say in the end go with your gut, the one that you think will please in the long run the most.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. I have a 95 Jetta III GL. LOVE THE MANUAL! ! ! ! !
Guess I'll just have to wait and see! :eek:

Any ideas on the 2004???

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've driven an Accord Coupe for the last 8 years, a manual, and I too love the race car feel. I love the ability to control the power when I need to. Now the element isn't going to be appearing on the next fast and furious, although you never know lol, but I still went with the manual for the ultimate power control. I think it's great when you want to pass, or going uphill to be able to drop it into 4th and go for it. I test drove the automatic and the manual and for me there definitely was a difference besides the cost. Ultimately the decision is up to you. If you've driven stick in the past and like, then you'll love it on the E. The throws are short and crisp and with the stick mounted on the dash, it looks and feels very cool. I love my EBP 2WD EX E. :D Later.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a MT 4WD EX and thoroughly dig it. If you commute in traffic, though, it is gonna be a pita unless you're already use to that. Unless you want an SOP (rumored to be discont'd): at this point, I'd order an '04 -- side 'bags will probably be standard in EX (this is just a guess, not fact) as Honda is doing this with the rest of their cars...plus an '04 will be worth a few grand more on resale. I will warn you that a MT 4WD is not that easy to locate -- it can be done, just be persistent and find a good dealer.

Good luck!
Steve

·
Registered
137 Posts
Stick = FUN!!!
Auto = Borrrrrring.

BTW - Don't let your girlfriend who doesn't know how to drive a stick drive your new Element 5sp - trust me on this one!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
hehe. :lol:

Yeah, I taught my girlfriend stick on my old car so she'd be ready for my manual E.

Yes, you can definitely find a manual with 4WD. Don't let the dealers tell you otherwise. Just say that's what you want and make them get it for you.

I'm very happy with the stick. Once a manual driver, always a manual driver!
:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought the manual because I like to be actively involved with driving. And it steers me clear of any temptation to talk on my cell phone. Cars just seem more like an appliance than a car with automatics. But that's just me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I drive the 5spd. And I commute to work on a freeway (the 401/403) in Toronto) five days a week. I really do not find the shifting to be at all difficult or unpleasant. In fact, I find in an automatic, it's easier to become complacent aboy driving. The manual keeps me focused on what I am doing.

I have said it before, and I say it agaimn - for me - I know I am old when I do not want to drive or can not drive a 5spd any longer.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
My last "commuter" was auto and it sucked. I don't need 4wd because I live in Georgia, so just 2wd, but I dig the 5spd in the E.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My commute is only about 20 miles each way, but its bumper to bumper most of that distance. Usually takes me about 90 minutes to get to and from work. Nevertheless, I would never buy a car with an automatic transmission.

My foot gets more tired driving my wife's Accord in traffic, just from having to hold down the brake pedal all the time.

And the position of the shifter and the shortness of the stroke on the manual are just perfect. Not to mention the fact that my wife doesn't drive a stick either...

eKennedy

·
Registered
17 Posts
My E is the first auto tranny I've owned, and I was a bit weary of purchasing a car without a manual trans. For comfort reasons, my wife and I ended up with the auto, and I've been pleasantly surprised. The thing shifts when expected and it's pretty easy to engage all four gears manually when I need to. If I was getting a coupe that I wanted to blast out of corners, I'd get nothing but a manual transmission. For the slow and steady pace of our high profile E, the auto transmission is a good fit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I have both. (Thst should tell you how much I like the car.)

When I am driving the manual I like it better. When I drive the automatic, I like it better.)

Interesting thing for me about the decision is the old rules do not apply. The automatic gets identical gas mileage. Since the automatic shifts quicker than I can shift I actually think it is "pep-ier."

Both are terribly "cool." You cannot make a bad decision. But, if I personally could have only one I would recommend the stick. But that is just me. Most people I know hate sticks.

Regards,

Doug Fejer

·
Registered
47 Posts
I drive almost 150 miles a day, round-trip, commuting to/from work. The drive home is mostly stop-and-go. I don't care how much I like manuals, I wouldn't want to be driving one in DC traffic on a daily basis.

My last car was a Beetle Turbo, with an automatic. I test-drove the 6-speed Turbo S. Never reached 6th gear on my test drive, and this was on some of the same roads I had to drive to/from work. That helped make the transmission choice easier, for me.

My mileage in my Auto-E is 22-24 mpg, 70 % highway. (What matters more to me is, I can cover 2 round-trips to work on one tank of gas. Would love it if I could cover 3 or more! :D)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was in the same boat.....at first undecided whether to get an auto or stick. I always prefer manuals and all my former rides except one were manual. But I chose an auto for the E and here's why:

1-I haul lots of stuff in the back....my bike, gear..etc. I didn't want the jerkiness of a manual with all my sfuff in the back
2-the manual in the E supposedly revs very high over 70mph and gets slightly worse mpg than the auto
3-as fun as a manual might be I don't think you'll be getting some sports car experience having a manual in an SUV....even if it is fun to drive
4-traffic/ease of use-I too live in the DC/Metro area and I would get sick of shifting the E after awhile. The auto makes driving less of a chore for me.
5-the automatic tranny in the E is great! It doesn't feel sluggish at all! It shifts very smoothly in my 2WD EX.

I'm very happy I chose the automatic and would do it again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
when my wife and i went looking, i was dead set on getting a manual. the last several cars i've owned have been manuals and for all the reasons listed by everyone else here, i wanted to stay with a manual. not to mention the fact that my wife doesn't know how to drive a manual (and has shown significant resistance to trying to learn).
we test drove an automatic, mainly so i could get her feedback on the car as more than a passenger (to make sure i hadn't pre-sold myself on the car before even test driving one). for reasons i've yet to put my finger on, the auto just seemed to fit. every now and again, i get the itch to shift and have even had my left foot go for the non-existent clutch more than once, but i think that all the things i like about manuals wouldn't really feel the same in the e. but this is, as much as color choice, a personal decision. any performance differences are so miniscule as to be basically meaningless so go with what feels good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my automatic. Honda makes a pretty zippy automatic.

If I feel the need for some extra zip or oomph.....or if I want the engine to do the braking instead of riding the brakes with my foot....I'll shift it into the lower gears,or I press that overdrive off button.Whichever I deem nescesary for the particular situation at the time.
And if I'm really feeling squirrel-y.........I turn off the a/c for little while too!!!!! ZOOOOOOM!
ENGAGE THE WARP DRIVE, LA FORGE!

Try it. You'll like it!

·
Registered
261 Posts
all my previous cars have been stick, but for the element i decided to get automatic and i am happy about the decision. i would never consider getting a sports car with an automatic (what would be the point???) but the e is a commuter car for me and not having to shift 500 times a day is really nice. i thought that i might miss the control of a stick but after a long test drive of the automatic i was sold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I could get access to the computer code that controls the automatic I'd make changes and try new shifting profiles every week. So Cool! So Cool!

But since I can't have that, I'll have to go on clutching and shifting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts