Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The Vision Motorworks Billet Aluminum 8 Piece Shifter Bushing Kit Replaces the Stock Soft Rubber Bushings from the Shifter Box for a Improved Shifter Feeling and also to Eliminate the Vague or Mushy Feeling from the Stock Shifter .
Vague? Mushy? The Element's shifter is the best FWD manual gearbox I have ever driven. :?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I got mine from Speed Source. There are several different manufacturers, but you can use any bushings made for an Acura RSX or Civic Si (EP3). I also bought the shifter cable bushing to tighten it up even more.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I also have the vision bushings, nice difference, felt new again plus a little better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Shifter Play

Hello EOC! I have come yet again to the all-knowing hivemind to inquire about my Shifter.

I'm sure many of you MT's out there have experienced this, and not only in the Element. There is some play in the shifter, it moves about half an inch in all directions when in neutral.

Do any of you folks know how to get in there and tighten it up? It's not that there is anything mechanically wrong, I just prefer the shifter to be more "spot-on".

Any ideas?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I can't remember for sure, but I think I saw a replacement bushing that basically turns it into a short throw shifter. It may have been on ebay, I doubt I bookmarked it since I have an auto.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I like my MT's to wiggle around in Neutral, that's how I know it's in neutral; you push it center, then wiggle it side to side to make sure it's in neutral for sure. If it were stiff, I'd feel like it was in a gear.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
There are bushings at both ends of the shift linkage that can be replaced. The linkage at the console would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hybrid Racing's Shifter Bushings for Manual Trans: Install and Review

Hey All, I contacted K20tuned.com about doing a test fit on the Hybrid Racing Shifter Cable Bushings for the 01-05 Civic Si or EP3 and they fit perfectly. Below is the install instructions and my review.

Installation was a breeze and took about 30 minutes:

1: Remove Air Intake assembly(Air box and tube), remove the battery, this will insure enough room to work.

2: Remove cotter pins holding the shifter cables, there are 2.

3: Remove the washers from the cables. Be careful not to lose the plastic washers under the metal ones, these will be reused. Set aside components.

4: Remove the 3 bolts(12mm, shown in illustration 1 with red arrows.) This will allow you to move around the cables with out damaging them.

5: Remove the bushing out of the big cable end was easy, spray a little WD40 and push it right out.

6: Remove the bushing out of the small cable end by cutting the lip off the bushing on one side so it will easily come out, it will not come out any other way, both ways are confirmed by every EP3 user of these bushings.

7: Take the new large bushing the install it in the cable as you want the Hybrid Racing logo pointing up wards. Then take the spring o-ring clip and spread it with your finger and guide it in a circular motion to lock it in the groove on the bottom.

8: Take the new small bushing an install it in the cable end with the HR logo facing to the right. As with the big bushing, install the clip the same way.

9: Re-install the Small and Big cables with the plastic washer first then the metal washer onto the correct pins locking them down with the supplied cotter pins(speed style). After I took the picture I reused the stock ones, I am not a fan of the speed style cotter pins.(Shown in illustration 1 with red arrows, illustraction 2 with black arrows.)

10: Re-install the 3 bolts that hold down the shifter cable Assembly.

11: Re-install the Air intake assembly and Battery.

12: ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Review: I am very pleased with this upgrade. I noticed a WAY WAY more positive feel to this otherwise sloppy shifter. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND these in every way. As I took it for a ride, I noticed a more gated feel, a lot speedier shifts, and more positive feel that it was in gear, instantly I was impressed.
Over the next 1000 miles I will be reporting back every so often on how these are doing and when my first auto-cross event comes in 2 weeks, I will report on that also. Thanks everyone for reading and here is the link to read up more one these: http://www.hybrid-racing.com/?cat=4&p=1539
and can be ordered here: http://www.k20tuned.com.

Later,
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The 4 ways to improve your Manual Transmission's Sloppy Shifting.

Hey All, after a day of installing 4 components and testing the difference of each one at a time, these are the 4 components or ways that I have made my 5 speed shifter smoother, sportier, and more positive.

#1: Hybrid Racing's Shifter Cable Bushings. Reported here: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62994
These made a huge difference on shifter feel. Price was $70 shipped.
Picture is photo #1.

#2: Vision Motorsports 01-05 Civic Si Shifter Base Billet Bushings from eBay. They are cheap and I did notice the shifter was more solid when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th. Install was about 45 minutes, kind of hard to get the stock bushings out, I recommend this to a higher mileage element, newer ones probably won't see a huge difference. Picture is photo #2. Price was $20 shipped.

#3: AC AutoTechnic's 01-05 Civic Si Short Throw Adapter. This can be bought from eBay. Install was a breeze as I followed NC-B17A's post here: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59766
and here http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59762. What a HUGE difference, such short throws and very smooth. Price is about $65 shipped.
Picture is photo #3.

#4: Ingalls Engine Stiffy, we all know what this is but can be bought from any Ingalls retailer from $140 to $180. Install was quick and painless and can be found here:http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39053&highlight=Ingalls+Stiffy. I noticed more than just helping the shifting with this, but it did help smooth out shifting under hard acceleration, this is needed for sure. Picture is photo #4.

I want to explain these are my recommendations to a smoother, quicker, more positive, and stronger feeling Shift at all times to our otherwise sloppy shifter assembly. Good luck and any questions about any of these items, please ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Dan, I had to look up what illos was, lol, never heard of that. Thanks also.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks Dan, hopefully this gets some feedback, maybe enough to become a sticky!!
Later
Steve

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great write up! Even if the products above become unavailable, consider any alternatives that are similar. A solid, direct feel from the shifter is a pet peave of mine, and these parts are certainly the solution.

Personally I rather use stiffer engine mounts then the damper, but currently the damper is the only thing available in that area. The damper is definitely better for a confort level, it will transmit less vibration to the cabin then stiffer mounts.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Serj, I definitely agree with you on the "knowing it's in neutral" idea, but I've gotten used to the positioning in the Element to know where it sits.

As far as replacing the bushing at the top of the shifter linkage, what do you guys recommend I replace them with? I have seen lots of "kits" that come with steel bushings and whatnot. Any ideas?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Nice info! I have the corsport shirter bushings and the buddy club bolt in short shifter and the corsport shifter base bushings. I have been interested in swapping up to the hybrid racing shift cable bushings as my corsport ones are solid and these supposedly have a smother engagement. All of the above help shifting very much. As i figure you might already know, the short shifter adapters like you posted(as well as a full replacement box like the buddy club SS sometimes) can cause broken cables from changing the geometry of the shifter linkage. It is very important where your shifter is sitting as you adjust the throw to make sure you don't throw it off too much. The only other slight downside(that I have fallen victim too) is mis-shifting.. But that is more the driver mod...;-)

Ps. I Broke my stiffy (lol) fairly quickly once I went turbo, and that thing was kind of noisy. Make sure you put dynamat underneath the mounting plate. If I do another one, it will be on the other side of the valve cover, in the middle of the motor.

Great post Steve.. Loving the proper compilation of materials. The following are links to some other options to tighten up those sloppy slots...:grin:

Buddy Club Short shifter
http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1013&idcategory=460
Corsport shifter cable bushings
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=214_80&products_id=495
Corsport shifter base bushings
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=214_80&products_id=219

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks big guy. I hope your dampner project is as easy as this, probably not, lol.

Update: I have 100 miles on them and everything is great, every time I shift, I love it more and more.

I have had a couple people say they are getting these through pm's. If you buy these, post your results.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Will any short throw adapter for a 01-05 civic work or does it have to be for an SI Civic? The regular civic s. t. adapters I have found look different, but I'm not a gear head.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts