Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2003 Element EX AWD
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sweeeeet!!! All 5 broken mounts replaced and transmission solenoid for first and second gear replaced and no more hard clunking from 1st to 2nd. This baby is smooooth!!!!
Thanks to all the folks here for the huge wealth of information!!!
Now I have to figure out how to reset the radio from removing the battery. I have the code but the LCD isn鈥檛 working so I can鈥檛 see the word code! 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ magic for that?!

Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!); 2008 LX FWD AT
Five mounts? I think you outdid yourself - I thought there are only four. For the radio, just assume the word "code" is there after turning it on, then punch the numbers on the preset buttons. You might ask in the Tradin' Post section if anyone has a working OEM radio for an '03; many folks upgrade and may still have their old radio collecting dust on a shelf.

Registered
2003 Element EX AWD
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Five mounts? I think you outdid yourself - I thought there are only four. For the radio, just assume the word "code" is there after turning it on, then punch the numbers on the preset buttons. You might ask in the Tradin' Post section if anyone has a working OEM radio for an '03; many folks upgrade and may still have their old radio collecting dust on a shelf.
Thanks! I鈥檒l try that for the radio. My son can use the Aux cord to his phone if I can get it back up and play music that way. Santa will be giving him a new hands free radio -if Santa doesn鈥檛 keep the E for herself and yes all 4 engine bay mounts and one in the rear as well. It鈥檚 was a beast! 4 Bolts broke and only able to get through Honda. Phew! Glad it鈥檚 done. 馃檶馃徎

Registered
2004 Honda Elephant AT AWD, cinnamon (SOP)
Now I have to figure out how to reset the radio from removing the battery. I have the code but the LCD isn鈥檛 working so I can鈥檛 see the word code! 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ magic for that?!
I had the same problem, I think. The radio appeared to power on, the LCD backlight was lit up, but no LC characters were visible. I had the secret code, which I entered (blindly) numerous times, no luck. Tapping on the LCD didn't seem to provoke even a flicker.

So I pulled out the radio and started taking it apart. Not hard getting it out, and disassembly was more scary than challenging. All I took apart was the trim on the front, which exposed the LCD housing better. Then I got too scared to go any farther. I hadn't "found" anything, but I didn't know what I was looking for, either. So I popped the radio back into the dash.

Nothing had changed. But now, with the LCD protruding, I could grab it and massage it better. After about two minutes of fiddling, I pulled downward on the right-hand side of the housing, while simultaneously pressing upward on its left-hand side. I saw some Morse Code on the display!

Breathlessly, I tugged some more, and I saw the word Code appear. Then disappear. Then reappear. Once it stabilized (while continuing to pull downward on the right), I entered the secret code. Nothing happened.

So I tried again, and I eventually discovered that I needed to apply appropriate torsion to the LCD housing so that Code was displaying flawlessly. Then, entering the code, each character's entry was echoed on the LCD. Took two attempts, and suddenly I had staticky tunes!

So I tuned to a strong station and beat my chest in triumph.

Now, I've since discovered a few more things. I can tune with the knob whenever I want, but the preset buttons don't respond unless the LCD is displaying every active segment. So to change stations or to change to AM, I'll probably have to tug a little (or a lot) on the LCD housing. I haven't replaced the front trim, because that'd make the LCD housing less accessible to my finger pressures.

I suspect there's a printed circuit, perhaps a flat ribbon, behind the LCD, and the contacts are contacting imperfectly. With the advent of chillier temperatures, it seems to take more tugging to achieve my goals, but I've never not been able to get the LCD to display. After having the heater on for awhile, it's more cooperative, and sometimes the LCD will function for awhile even after I've quit twisting.

I could've gotten a new replacement radio, one with a 6" touchscreen, for ballpark $50. But: 1) that'd have been $50 (presently, a lot of bucks to me) that I didn't need to be spending; 2) I'd likely have had to drop another $20-ish for wiring harness adapters; and 3) while I really like USB connectivity, I really like the radio to fit snugly into its nook in the dash. Granted, the radio doesn't currently have the front trim/buttons installed, but that's semi-temporary, where buying a new unit would have been a permanent imperfect reconfiguration. And I have tunes now, which is pretty important.

Since I seem to have the magic touch, I'd offer to come fix yours. Or try, and I'm betting your radio and mine are misbehaving identically. But you're Oceanmomma, which tells me you probably live near one of the oceans. I'm about 100 miles south of the southernmost point of Lake Michigan, this wouldn't be a simple adventure for me. Oh, well.

Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
She has the code; the problem is the display is blank when the radio is turned on.
The display is an LCD. Take a 1-led dollar store penlight and aim it inward 45 degrees at the right side of the display.

Reactions: Oceanmomma

Registered
2003 Element EX AWD
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The display is an LCD. Take a 1-led dollar store penlight and aim it inward 45 degrees at the right side of the display.
Wow! Thank you!!! We will do that tomorrow when my son gets here for turkey!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts