Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone, somewhere posted a how-to for replacing grille front and condenser area with aluminum mesh. Anyone have that link?????

I wanna try to do it.... :(

·
Registered
352 Posts
Go to page 2 of "e'cessories" then the link "chrome mesh grille installed". Next step go to "Home Depot" and buy the necessary stuff.

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's cool to save money whenever possible but please don't buy the mesh at Home Depot unless you like the rusty look - really. Make sure you buy genuine chrome mesh - there are many legit folks selling the stuff in 6" x 36" sheets on eBay for less than $20 bucks shipped to your doorstep.

The front of your E is no place to save a couple of bucks IMHO. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Summitracing.com has both Chrome and Black ALUMINUM grille mesh in
(if I remenber right) BOTH 8" x 47" size as well as in 16" x 47" size. I'm
going to find out from my local powder-coater if they can work with aluminum, and, if so, would they spec the Chrome or the Black to sandblast so I can then color-match to either my current mid-brown/bronzey Honda Pilot alloys or some other powdercoat color that
blends or harmonizes with the GalaGreenBullPup.
I also have to perform the simple measure & figure to see if the 16" x 47" will cover both upper and lower grille openings.
Yesterday at a DIY wash'em'up the SPRAY from the (not very) high pressure wand bent, not a lot mind you, BUT BENT the fins on the lower
air-con condensor. Protecting that stuff before summer and hot long
distance touring needs to be done ASAP. hondagotanearout?
Happy Trails ... BEEP! BEEP!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx, lon and all....

I am anxious to try this and will wait until there is a concensus on what materials to use. I read somewhere that aluminum would be better because it would not rust.

I will need help on this, so y'all try your way first and report the results. Whatever the outcome, I think the overall mod is aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Speaking as a person who works in the aircraft industry - use polished or anodized aluminium. Won't rust and will look good for a very long time. Or if you prefer to get a bit extreme - see if you can find some nickel plated stainless. Some archeologist will find your grille 2000 years from now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
:mrgreen: I will be posting pics and sources for about 15-20 different types of patterns to use to make some cool grills for the E soon. Stainless , Aluminum, Steel, Fibreglass and more! These materials are available in all the same patterns with varying thiknesses so you can choose the patern and material you need! And yes you can powder coat steel and aluminum.

·
Registered
493 Posts
DROP-E, those are great step-by-step pictures of the removal of the front unit to do whatever needs to be done. How long did it take, how many bolts/fasteners had to be removed, any special tools (I don't think so, from previous posts re: the plastic holders) and any unforseen probs??? My plan is to design and fabricate a bumper/grill guard using aluminum pipe and flat aluminum bar stock for the unit itself. The Problem is fabricating a bracket hefty enough to hold it up. Notice the loop of steel underneath the chassis on each side of the car near the front? Not enough anchor point to keep a bumper attachment from being solidly fastened, so I believe one needs to remove the front clip to make room for a bracket to be solidy welded to what is behind the plastic bumper, which seems to be a piece of steel going across to anchor to, yes? If so, the plastic need only be cut near the bottom to allow for some of it to slip thru. Do you agree?
Would appreciate a response about what is under the plastic.

Thanks, Ger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts