Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon these models and I want one sooo bad. I've been looking around and the ones near me have high mileage. Im located in GA. There's a 2004 Honda E Ex Sport with 164k miles for $3900 from an owner (can prob get lower) , a 2008 with 170k miles for $5000 from an auto broker, and lastly a 2004 with 174k miles for $5000 with taxes etc from a dealership. These are all the same models just different years. I know I have to go check them out to test them, I'm just worried the mileage is too high. Is it even worth it looking into any of these three? Also, what's the highest they'll last?

Thank youuuu!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The short answer is that the Element is no different than any other vehicle. Well cared for, they can last 250k easily. If not, you will have issues. They are not magic. There will be upkeep and there will be investments needed, just like any vehicle. Take it to a trusted mechanic to have it looked at. It's worth the small investment. Bring a knowledgable friend. Check for rust, especially underneath. Your worst enemy is "I want one sooo bad." We can't pick one for you.
Be patient

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The short answer is that the Element is no different than any other vehicle. Well cared for, they can last 250k easily. If not, you will have issues. They are not magic. There will be upkeep and there will be investments needed, just like any vehicle. Take it to a trusted mechanic to have it looked at. It's worth the small investment. Bring a knowledgable friend. Check for rust, especially underneath. Your worst enemy is "I want one sooo bad." We can't pick one for you.
Be patient
Thank you! And I always bring my friend who is a mechanic. I just don't know if I should even look at them bc of the high mileage. I don't have much time since I have less than two weeks to purchase a car. But you're right!! I can be a little more patient/

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
992 Posts
The 2008 has some upgrades that the 2004's will be missing if they are still stock.

The biggest advantage would be the 2008 will have a 5 speed automatic transmission (versus the 4 speed automatics on the 2004's). The 5 speed automatic will give a small improvement in highway MPG.

Unless of course if they all have manual transmissions; which would make them pretty much the same!

But, you still may want to consider the 2004 with 164K miles for $3900. It's the lowest price and the lowest mileage of the 3; and it may be the best value for the money.

Perhaps the best choice would be the one that you can get a complete set of maintenance records with.

Let us know which one you end up buying.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The '08 will have side curtain air-bags, stability control and extra horsepower as well. Oh yeah, tire pressure monitors too. Personally, I think side curtain airbags are the biggie.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Be patient
2003-2011 basically same frame up as the CR-V very easy to work on....no need to take to a mechanic that will charge 5-10 times as much as something anyone can do I am a Mechanic.that knows these Honda's will make 500,00 miles and more...anything I can help with just ask..and no idiots please

·
Registered
3 Posts
I stumbled upon these models and I want one sooo bad. I've been looking around and the ones near me have high mileage. Im located in GA. There's a 2004 Honda E Ex Sport with 164k miles for $3900 from an owner (can prob get lower) , a 2008 with 170k miles for $5000 from an auto broker, and lastly a 2004 with 174k miles for $5000 with taxes etc from a dealership. These are all the same models just different years. I know I have to go check them out to test them, I'm just worried the mileage is too high. Is it even worth it looking into any of these three? Also, what's the highest they'll last?

Thank youuuu!!
Just bought one 30 days ago $3600 for a 2007 SC model and with 125K miles???? I question that, it looked good body wise, the transmission went out 7 days after I bought its and had to make other fixes to it. In all have made $2800 of repairs taking in consideration that I have done some of the repairs. BUT I love my car. It is a SC model, and it has a little of a sporty ride, parts are difficult to find, paint is fading, but will raptor liner paint it within a year. Again love the space it has and versatility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The '08 will have side curtain air-bags, stability control and extra horsepower as well. Oh yeah, tire pressure monitors too. Personally, I think side curtain airbags are the biggie.
go with the 2004 get'em down to 2700...but check it out do not take to a dealer or a MECHANIC unless you know they are good on these Honda's..check air filter right of...look for any kind of a possible leak of any kind...sit still run that sucker 2500 rpm with a/c on

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought one 30 days ago $3600 for a 2007 SC model and with 125K miles???? I question that, it looked good body wise, the transmission went out 7 days after I bought its and had to make other fixes to it. In all have made $2800 of repairs taking in consideration that I have done some of the repairs. BUT I love my car. It is a SC model, and it has a little of a sporty ride, parts are difficult to find, paint is fading, but will raptor liner paint it within a year. Again love the space it has and versatility.
a 66,000 transmission was $900 thru LQK and I noticed the average JDM engine is about $500 with less than 50K so keeping them running is no big deal. Just make sure the body is good

·
Registered
6 Posts
you like side air bags..plan on doing some wrecking???

·
Registered
249 Posts
I do like side air bags. I also like tires with tread and seat belts too. I do not plan on wrecking, but I would never be surprised if someone t-boned me while texting/tweeting/talking on their phone or some other stupid bullshi!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
2003-2011 basically same frame up as the CR-V very easy to work on....no need to take to a mechanic that will charge 5-10 times as much as something anyone can do I am a Mechanic.that knows these Honda's will make 500,00 miles and more...anything I can help with just ask..and no idiots please
(lpw): I would like your opinion please. I purchased a 2006 Honda Element AWD approximately 130,000 miles, one owner, and all the records show the oil was changed every 3000 miles at Honda, and from all the records it had immaculate maintenance all at a Honda dealership just as I do and use synthetic. The oil usage is 2 quarts per 3,000 miles and there are absolutely no oil leaks. The previous maintenance records show no issues, so what do you think happened that this Honda is using this much oil. Thanks for any ideas, it's appreciated

·
Registered
249 Posts
(lpw): I would like your opinion please. I purchased a 2006 Honda Element AWD approximately 130,000 miles, one owner, and all the records show the oil was changed every 3000 miles at Honda, and from all the records it had immaculate maintenance all at a Honda dealership just as I do and use synthetic. The oil usage is 2 quarts per 3,000 miles and there are absolutely no oil leaks. The previous maintenance records show no issues, so what do you think happened that this Honda is using this much oil. Thanks for any ideas, it's appreciated
That's a lot of oil consumption. What kind of mileage are you getting (roughly)? How is the idle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
mileage is 20 city\ 25hwy. Idle is perfect. With the 2 quart oil usage every 3000 miles, its a big concern for me because it's all I have for transportation and don't have a lot of money. I can obviously keep putting oil in it, but I don't know if I should sell it because I have no clue if this oil consumption gets worse quickly or not. I live in the cold weather climate of the Midwest, and the Element sits outside so its difficult for me to continually check and add oil especially in the snowy, icy weather because I have to use crutches to walk. Anyway, I find it strange that this element had fantastic maintenance care per all the records, and this K engine suppose to be Rock Solid, and it drinks oil like crazy. Someone suggested it could have overheated and that's why it was traded in. Any other reason's this high oil usage could have happened? If the Rings and Pistons are bad does this oil problem increase and get worse quickly? Thanks much for any replies

·
Registered
249 Posts
mileage is 20 city\ 25hwy. Idle is perfect. With the 2 quart oil usage every 3000 miles, its a big concern for me because it's all I have for transportation and don't have a lot of money. I can obviously keep putting oil in it, but I don't know if I should sell it because I have no clue if this oil consumption gets worse quickly or not. I live in the cold weather climate of the Midwest, and the Element sits outside so its difficult for me to continually check and add oil especially in the snowy, icy weather because I have to use crutches to walk. Anyway, I find it strange that this element had fantastic maintenance care per all the records, and this K engine suppose to be Rock Solid, and it drinks oil like crazy. Someone suggested it could have overheated and that's why it was traded in. Any other reason's this high oil usage could have happened? If the Rings and Pistons are bad does this oil problem increase and get worse quickly? Thanks much for any replies
You should move over to "Problems & Issues" you will probably get a lot more feedback over there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
a 66,000 transmission was $900 thru LQK and I noticed the average JDM engine is about $500 with less than 50K so keeping them running is no big deal. Just make sure the body is good
Someone I know said their friend owns a place that sells used car parts. He said all of them including competitors have NO IDEA how many miles the engines and transmissions have on them, so in order to compete with the other businesses, they all have to mark them as having low mileage in order to sell because that's what their competitors do. So there is a risk, but you may also find something worthwhile. Good luck

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
215 Posts
My daughter's 2008 had an oil consumption problem that got to a quart almost every tank of gas by about 200,000 miles. Your oil consumption won't improve any with time. I wound up doing a partial rebuild; pulled the pistons and rods, honed the cylinders, installed new rings and rod bearings, new valve seals. After putting it back together, she doesn't have to add oil between 5,000 mile changes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts