Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick background - 2 years ago I was looking for a new car and was 99% sure I was getting an E. I test drove an 08, even got as far as coming very close to finalizing a deal -- I even read the EOC forums religiously and posted a few times. Then at the last minute, I changed my mind and thought a sedan would be more practical for my needs, so I ended up with an 07 Subaru Legacy MT.

Now, 2 years later, the E bug is back. I'm sick of driving a MT in the city, planning to get a dog soon, want the cargo room...and bottom line, I just want one :) Getting a used 08 doesn't make sense since for $3k more I can get a 2010 with full warranty and lower interest rate. Plus, I really like the 2010 styling. So now my decision is between LX and EX - want the alloys, overhead storage and upgraded stereo, but leaning towards LX + aftermarket speaker upgrade to save the money. 4WD is a must in New England. A few questions:

- Did Elements change from AWD to 4WD - what is the difference? I assume the difference is that AWD is "always on" where 4WD needs to be engaged? Anyone have experience driving a newer E in snow...thoughts?

- Is there any where I can find out what dealer cost for accessories is? If dealer won't quite meet my price, I might try to get them to throw in some accessories at cost to sweeten the deal for me - cargo tray, roof rack, power outlet in back, etc

- Can anyone share recent Honda financing rates? I have excellent credit, but still may hold out for a financing incentive...really want to get my interest rate around 2% Just wondering how far away from that the current non-incentive rates are. Want to check with my bank too - but don't want to open a credit check until I know I'm ready to buy.

- Any idea about upcoming incentives? I assume these aren't announced until the 1st of the month - but is there a past history of April/May incentives on the E?

Depending on interest rates/incentives I'm hoping to pull the trigger on my new E in the next couple of months...can't wait to FINALLY be an official member of the club! Thanks for your help

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
- Did Elements change from AWD to 4WD - what is the difference? I assume the difference is that AWD is "always on" where 4WD needs to be engaged? Anyone have experience driving a newer E in snow...thoughts?

Elements have always had a part time 4wd system....never awd.

- Is there any where I can find out what dealer cost for accessories is? If dealer won't quite meet my price, I might try to get them to throw in some accessories at cost to sweeten the deal for me - cargo tray, roof rack, power outlet in back, etc

Unless you know some that works for Honda or at a dealer finding out true dealer cost will be next to impossible. You can use some of the prices found at online dealers as a bargaining tool. But getting accessories at cost? Likely not. Parts managers have a real hard time selling parts at zero markup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Keep your eyes open for an '08 or '09; as the styles really haven't changed much since it's introduction in '03. While shopping for a new 2010, I stumbled upon an '08 for $5K less than new. Another factor is that I've read that Honda has only produced ~15K 2010s so far, so they can be hard to find if are set on a specific color or style.

Good luck! Please let us know what you find and don't hesitate to ask; I found almost every one of my questions were already answered here at EOC.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Elements have always had a part time 4wd system....never awd.
And you don't turn it on/off or shift in/out of 4wd. It senses wheel slippage and engages or disengages automatically.

·
Registered
362 Posts
And you don't turn it on/off or shift in/out of 4wd. It senses wheel slippage and engages or disengages automatically.
Though I really kind of miss my old Subaru that DID have a 4wd shifter so you could go to full time 4wd if you wanted too. We were driving in the mountains the other day and if I had real 4wd I would have kept going, but with the AWD I was unsure if I'd be able to make it where I wanted to go. I wanted that assurance that all 4 wheels were working for me the whole time. Made me want a JEEP Wrangler again (the car I would have gotten if I didn't have a kid or still lived in Phoenix).

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I have taken mine in a lot of places and snow that I thought it wouldn't get through and its worked great. Look around and get what you want for the right deal. I took 6 months to find the one that I wanted and it was out of this state.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have taken mine in a lot of places and snow that I thought it wouldn't get through and its worked great. Look around and get what you want for the right deal. I took 6 months to find the one that I wanted and it was out of this state.
Yeah, I should have added that if my E was a stick I might feel better about taking it out in the woods more. I so miss driving a stick, but since most of my driving is city and traffic with a kid, I enjoy the auto most of the time now. I think once my daughter is older I might get a stick shift again, if they still exist by then (she's only 2.5).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts