Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To install a short shift adapter remove the center dash trim from around the shifter.

Remove the shift cable by spreading the metal clips apart & pushing it away from the shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then take a 12mm wrench to pop the plastic cap off the oem shifter.
Cover the cap with your hand or a cloth so it doesn't go flying off inside your dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the cap & put it inside the closed end of a wrench (on a hard surface) to hold it still & press the ball on the shift adapter inside the cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slide the adapter on the oem shifter. I had to tap the end around the shifter lever with the closed end of a wrench to snug it up.
Put the locking plate on the other side of the adapter & tighten up the screws then snap the oem shift cable on the ball on the adapter. make sure you have the cable locked on & replace the dash trim & give it a try.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask here,IM, or email me.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
nice work and great pics....I see the AC markings on the billet piece but don't recognize the brand. I've seen the Neuspeed one that looks just like this, though.

Since we're talking about short shifters, it's a question I've had but never asked: Do all of the 5th Gen (02-05) Si shifters fit on the element? The whole unit from Buddy Club for the EP3 looks exactly the same. Also, would just plan shift rods from an EP3 fit?

·
Registered
69 Posts
How much "shorter" is the throw? Does it feel super short or is it only like 20% or so shorter?

Some of the shifters I've installed in the past are seriously too short IMO. Plus getting cable shifters to shift nice with adapters sometimes is a challenge.

·
Registered
49 Posts
TrailblazerzMTB thanks for adding info for people looking to do this mod
Not a issue I’m the king of finding the best prices so I wanted to share.

Unfortunately I think my whole shifter mechanism is done it’s got a lot of movement when in the gears so I’m likely going with the Buddy Club or if I have the cash the Hybrid Racing v2 shifter, with Hybrid Racing Spherical Bearings.

Was curious what do you guys think about there Cables for the EP3 you think they will work in our rides?

·
Registered
49 Posts
TrailblazerzMTB thanks for adding info for people looking to do this mod
Not a issue. I think my whole shifter mechanism is done it’s got a lot of movement when in the gears so I’m likely going with the Buddy Club or if I have the cash the Hybrid Racing v2 shifter.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts