Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw that a couple members used short throw shifters from the EP3 SI but at $130+ I didn't think that mod was worth it. Well I got to thinking that there are short throw adapters for the Civics so I thought that they might fit the E. Well they do.
I got one off Ebay for $60 shipped.
The 2 pics of the shifter from the side are 3rd gear before & after the 2nd set are 4th before then after. I have not driven it that much but the throw is shorter. I'll post up more of a review after a cpl days of driving.

I did an install write up heres the link.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=811690#post811690

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
Cool cost effective performance mod. Pics of the part installed?

So what part exactly does it replace? Does it actually move the point it connects with the cable lower below the pivot point, or how does it shorten the throw?

My only concern is that it would throw the geometry of the shifter off and be harder on other parts(i.e. shifter cables).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Awesome, you just answered a question I have been pondering for almost 2 years, now I just need the $$$.

·
Registered
557 Posts
For some reason I hate short throws. I drive m/t's real violently though, even when I'm driving normal. I can't feather to save my life and I like jamming the shifter in and out of gears to the point where the stick feels like it's going to break. That's how I like it.;-) But it looks like it obviously worked if the positions are closer together, well, at least that's what it looks like in the pics.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't feather to save my life and I like jamming the shifter in and out of gears to the point where the stick feels like it's going to break. That's how I like it.;-)
Lol so Serj22 you like it rough........
When I engage in "spirited driving" I have been told I shift like a mad man. I have had a short throw in my GSR for 6ys or so & I shift it hard when at the track & have never had any problems.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Lol so Serj22 you like it rough........
When I engage in "spirited driving" I have been told I shift like a mad man. I have had a short throw in my GSR for 6ys or so & I shift it hard when at the track & have never had any problems.
I do like it rough.:D No idea why, and this is me driving normal, even in town at 25mph through only the first three gears, not even accelerating hard either, I let my foot all the way off the gas to shift and jam all the way on the clutch and release and re-engage both to resume the next gear. It's very rough. Like I said, I can't feather to save my life.

Then, since i like to throw the shifter around, when I drove a short throw, I'd always make the pattern of 1,2,5. Totally always miss 3rd cause I'm so violent with it. Then the car would bog down, and I'd have to find 3rd, but then I'd shift it into 1st and the car would leap forward and the engine would over-rev. I just stick to the normal shifter for that reason.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 2 pics of the shifter from the side are 3rd gear before & after the 2nd set are 4th before then after.
Do you have pictures 3 and 4 backwards? It looks like picture 3 is after and 4 is before...if the pictures are in the right order, it doesn't look like the short throw shifter did that much.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have pictures 3 and 4 backwards? It looks like picture 3 is after and 4 is before...if the pictures are in the right order, it doesn't look like the short throw shifter did that much.
You need to take a 2nd look at that man. There is a a good difference in 3 & 4.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You need to take a 2nd look at that man. There is a a good difference in 3 & 4.
I think you misunderstood. I was asking if your pictures are out of order.
Does it go:
packaging
after
before
before
after

If the pictures are in the correct order... it looks like the short throw shifter just moves the 3rd gear shifter position closer to the dash (AC knobs).

I wanted to put a short throw shifter in my VW but I couldn't justify the price....Maybe now is my chance to put one in my E.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The order is as follows & yes they are in correct order.
Before 3rd
After 3rd
Before 4th
After 4th

The shifter does sit closer to the dash in 1st,3rd, & 5th.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts