Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am suppose to purchase a 2004 ex awd tomorrow, but have been reading lots of post here and problem is I saw where someone had carfaxes and they were repaired by reccommended (by insurance company I assume) auto repair places (a $5,000 and also a $7,000 repair, two vehicles) and one year later carfax had no record of them. Now I'm wooried because I think mine is too good a deal, $7,500 with 114K. I had a mechanic in the area look at it(haven't seen vehicle in person yet, over an hour away)he said it looked good, sounded good., and I also got a good one owner carfax report.The thing is I read about these guys on rippoff report online being shady but it could just be a few soured people I'm hoping. I'm so worried about this. My husband and I are going to see it tomorrow morning with cash in hand, what do you all think?:?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So if I understand you correctly...you aren't sure if this car has been involved in an accident? You are right to be skeptical of Carfax reports. They are a good tool but shouldn't be your only means of checking out a car. Good thing with Honda is they put a small VIN sticker on every single piece of sheet metal (fenders, hood, all four doors, rear hatch). If you see a panel without this little sticker then there is a good chance that panel was repaired or replaced.

Make sure you check to see if the title has any brands (salvage, rebuilt salvage, etc). In FL we can access the DMV for a free online VIN search. Not sure if that is the same in CT.

I've been shopping and researching Elements for the last few weeks. That price is on the low range of similar age/mileage Elements selling in my market (but I would assume an AWD Element is probably less desireable down here in FL).

·
Registered
19 Posts
its it worth it?

I am new to the forum. I am in the market to but an E myself, Once I sell my Tacoma. I have been reading on the forum about all the problems in the problems and defects page and I was just wanting an honest opinion about the car, whether or not it is worth me purchasing. I like the features of the car and that it has room that my truck doesn't. I just don't want to get into a headache with another vehicle.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am new to the forum. I am in the market to but an E myself, Once I sell my Tacoma. I have been reading on the forum about all the problems in the problems and defects page and I was just wanting an honest opinion about the car, whether or not it is worth me purchasing. I like the features of the car and that it has room that my truck doesn't. I just don't want to get into a headache with another vehicle.
Thanks for the help.
Toyota and Honda both make quality vehicles, neither is perfect and any vehicle can have problems. That said overall the Element is a very reliable vehicle with few issues and will be a good vehicle if its features are what you are looking for. On forums you will find complaints that are sometimes based upon unrealistic expectations of the vehicle, not all of them but certainly a percentage are. You will have to research and decide for yourself but having spent 16 of my 27 years in the automobile industry working with Hondas and Acuras I am confident that the Element is a good vehicle capable of providing years of service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts