Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading this message board for months now... I've test driven the E probably four times as well as other SUVS (the Escape, Explorer, and Freelander) and I'm debating whether or not to buy the SOP EX. I think I'm the first 17-year old female in this message board and I really do like the size of the E, the drive, etc. My only hesitation is in the crap I likely will receive from my friends. I'm on the edge of leasing it for four years (to get my through my college years) and I guess I'm just looking for some motivating words to jump the gun and buy it!

Also, I had a question about accessories. Is it really that easy to put on the roof rack and add a larger armrest, or am I better spending the money to have the factory install them?

Thanks :) I'll look forward to the responses. Hopefully, I will be walking in the dealership tomorrow reading to buy!

Erin

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good to see a young lady working so hard and saving money to be able to afford a nice new vehicle.

As far as your reason for not buying it? LAME! Who cares what they think, youll be the one driving it and living with it. :roll:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the pre-buy stage as well. I'm almost certain to buy as soon as I can get my poor dead BMW out of my garage and sold off - or traded in if it is running that day =).

As for your friends, I've been converting mine by bringing them with on test drives and once they have been in it they sort of clam up and say "well... thats sort of nice...." 8)

Soooooon... SOOOOOON.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seems that anyone under the age of 25, that I've talked to, loathes the E. What it comes down to is do you love it. If you do then don't worry about what they think. I worked with a bunch of 19 year olds this summer, who gave me nothing but grief about buying it. They all drove civics, and thought the E was stupid. Anyone under the age of 25 wants a vehicle for the Fast and the Furious. By the end of the summer they had gotten used to seeing it and in fact one of them was looking into getting one for himself in the new year. It might be ugly in a cute way, but at least it isn't boring. For that reason, you might be surprised that your friends might find it growing on them. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Buy it for yourself, not for what others think. I don't know how difficult the roof rack is to install, but the larger armrest is quite easy if you follow directions well. Just take your time and I don't think you will have any problems.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Erin, you go girl! If you've driven them all and are obviously smart enough to have determined the Element is best for you, why on earth would you do something else, just because of peer pressure? Oops, I forget (because I'm WAY past the age where peer pressure bothers me). But just think...New Jersey is a small state -- the typical male buyer is old enough to be your dad -- and you don't think a single one of them wouldn't stop over some weekend and help you install a roof rack if it proved too much for you? Don't pay a dealer to do it! It's way too easy, and I'm confident there are at least 20 guys in New Jersey who'd be more than happy to meet a girl your age smart enough to figure out what a great thing the Element is. If you've got how-to questions, check out Element-J's site. If you need more "emotional support", I don't think you'll be waiting long on this site to get it!

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote:e371b08bcc="ElementOfSurprise"]I'm in the pre-buy stage as well. I'm almost certain to buy as soon as I can get my poor dead BMW out of my garage and sold off - or traded in if it is running that day =).

As for your friends, I've been converting mine by bringing them with on test drives and once they have been in it they sort of clam up and say "well... thats sort of nice...." 8)

Soooooon... SOOOOOON.[/quote:e371b08bcc]

I converted no ones, Honda Element it is a personal taste. I hates to covince anybodies, even my wife.

Their are other common things in life people like you and I shares, like eat, sleep, having a job and going to work. I don't see any reasons why I have convince my friends that they should like what I drives.

When we're shopping for the E last June, my wife was not thrill about how the E looks but on the other hand she is not the ones that drives it. It is my E, I'm the ones who drives it. :D

I'm thrilled that I own an Element and not have the same taste as everyones else, or I'll be driving a Ford Taurus. :roll:

I hoped you get your's E soon, I love mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I decided to go with my gut feeling and I buy the EX 4wd SOP this afternoon, ready for me, installed with fog lights and keyless entry, on Friday! If anyone is interested, I got the final price for $20,222, which I will be leasing for four years... I am going to buy either the roof rack from Honda and install it myself, or the dealer told me there is a Thule rack that fits the Element. The armrest and floormates I am going to buy from the "Handa Accessory" website. I guess this makes me the youngest Element owner on this board (18 in November....) Anyway, as soon as I get it, I'll post pictures of me driving in style! Thanks for all of the encouraging words.

Erin
Proud Owner of an EX 4wd SOP

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congratulations!

Man! I can't remember when I was 18, oh well no glory days for me, back then I didn't have a Element to drive then either.

I'll make the most of it right now, since I have the Element.

I envy you, 17 and a set of cool wheels to be in.

Going to college in style?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, Erin. Here is a story about what others think of your E.

A few weeks ago, the CEO of my company saw my E in the parking lot and asked me about it. His final comment was that it was seriously funny looking.

Two weeks ago as he boarded the aircraft, he stuck his head in the cockpit and said, "Bill, that's the ugliest car I have ever seen".

He bought one the next day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some one else said this on this board and it rung so true that I decided to keep it:

Once people see and understand the inside, the outside becomes much more attractive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congratulations on your new SOP E! You definitely made the right choice! There's not a better SUV out there in my opinion. It ooooozes with Honda quality too!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congrats, Erin!

As a Princetonian, are you going to paint tiger stripes on it? :twisted:

I'm in Bridgewater and old enough to be your granddad, but I LOVE my E.

·
Registered
96 Posts
People that ive talked to at first didn't like the E. But once they rode in it and saw it for themselves they love it. One of my friends actually said he will buy one for himself...... Don't care what other people think.. Buy it cuz you like it... Not cuz they like it.. I mean you're the one that will be driving it.......

Now the accessories, I just installed all my accessories today.. But I'm use to working on my car. If you never did any work then it may be a little difficult for you and i guess thats where your bf comes in handy.. Or your friends.. If not do the safe thing and have the dealer put it in for you.....

This is my 2 cents..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts