Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is selling his 08 Chalet Alpine with A/C, 3 way fridge, hot water, extra storage, extra batteries, etc for $8K. It's only been used twice for a total of 5 days and still smells new.

Can I tow this thing? It has electric brakes installed. Dry is 1250#, so it'll probably tow at 1500 or so. It would sure be nice to be out of the 'elements' when fishing the Sierra's.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Sounds like a sweet deal :)

I think there is another Chalet owner on the board with one, and they say it tows fine - and not sure, but don't think thay have any trailer brakes on it at all, electirc or mechanical. You might do a search and contact them to see.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Again, just be aware that 'dry weight' usually means before any options/accessories/bolt-ons/etc... generally taking into account nothing more than the rolling chassis/body before anything is added to it. That often excludes AC, refrigerator, batteries, spare tire, 'bonus' cabinetry, not to speak of full propane tank(s), water tank, etc, etc... THEN there's the stuff you bring along. Outfitted for travel, my Scamp tipped a CAT scale at just over 1,500 lbs... it's listed at -900- lbs 'dry'. I have a college dorm sized fridge, one propane tank, two burner stove top, a 10 gallon water tank, 5,000BTU window AC unit, 20 lb bag awning, spare tire, and my 'stuff'.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That's why I wear a Speedo and eat nothing but Ramen Noodles when camping to save on trailer weight.;-)

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's why I wear a Speedo and eat nothing but Ramen Noodles when camping to save on trailer weight.;-)
whoa! now there's a mental image i didn't need! :shock:

·
Registered
730 Posts
LOL :lol: I believe the term in Club X is "Where's the mind bleach?!?" :lol:

·
Registered
873 Posts
mine beach is about 4 miles down the road.lol. but I do have an starcraft pop up with slide out dinete,shower,h20 heater,fridge,ac,pretty much loaded, probly around 2000,havent even tried towing yet,still need to install brake pkg. I will probly need some coil spacers or air bags.I thought about moving the battery & propane to the rear of tralier,but might not be the best place if it gets rearended. still thinken on that. 1500 loaded with electric brakes probly not to bad, just watch how you load it to get the weight in the right spots& always haull dry& fill at or just before you get there,remember watter is heavy.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Well, I got it. Considering the price of $8000, I couldn't go wrong. Similar models on RV Trader were going 13K and up. I'll post as soon as I get pics.
Am eager to hear of your experience with pulling it.

Do you have an automatic? Some peops opt for a transmission cooler (I did not but my teardrop weighs around 900 pounds empty).

Enjoy! Sounds like you got such a good deal you can try it out a few times and if it's not optimal you could still sell for a profit.

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also towing a Chalet 2002 Alpine Classic

I just purchased a used Chalet Alpine from an elderly gentlemen in Sun City CA last month and had my factory tow hitch installed (handa-accessories.com) by Uhaul in Perris CA a couple days later. I think the total weight is about 1330 lbs for the trailer and it tows just fine with my 2007 Honda E. EX 2WD w/ manual transmission. Where you feel it is in the braking so make sure to leave a safe distance in front of you... I don't have electric brakes. However at freeway speeds 55 (auto with trailer) it is absolutely stable and I didn't hardly feel it at all.

I admit it looks a little funny for an Element to pull a trailer but it's the most fun I've had in awhile :). The wife and are having a few initial weekend outings to local campgrounds to get our feet wet with the thing but I have a big trip planned from southern CA all the way to British Columbia over 10 days next month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts