Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tough question, as I think the two vehicles are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Having driven my nephew's WRX, it has great handling in the curves, its speed is unreal and it has really decent braking, in short one of the best pocket rockets there is. An Element is great for packing stuff into it. I would take a long test drive in the Element to see if the drop in overall road performance is acceptable to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ha, I actually traded in my '08 E for a '10 WRX last January, and have been thrilled. Definitely lost some cargo capacity, but I didn't use it enough to make it worthwhile. The daily dose of fun from the WRX's driving performance more than offsets the one time I've needed to rent a U-Haul. I think an E/WRX garage would be the ultimate, but can't justify two cars for just me.

Still cruise this board for mod tips, though - some things work on any car :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
compared to the WRX the E is like a Jeep. It is fun to drive but in no way like the WRX.

I second the long test drive. I would hate to see you regret a decision like this.

I almost got a WRX years ago but hung on to my Nissan a little longer before getting the E. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the WRX when I see one roaring down the street. My wife is probably glad we didn't get it.;-)

·
Registered
62 Posts
trade E

Every time I think about trading my E for a sporty car with <some> utility, I drive it and get reminded how well it rides and drives, and then I look at that back cargo area. I'm a gardener, DIY'er, and constantly help my kids with their homes. As much as I think I could 'make do' with the WRX, Lancer Sportback or Mini Clubman, something large needs to be moved and the 'make do' gets blown out the door. I also love the simplicity of the E. It reminds me of my barebones IHC Scout 2 that was less plush than the E. The only vehicles according to Consumer Reports stats that rival or beat the size of the E's cargo volume are all lined with carpet and fabric, with would not be happy with a load of mulch, or wet plants just purchased from the nursery.(which would have to lay down in a smaller vehicle).
Granted, I would like a bit more power, but for me, I can trade that for all the usefulness.
Now if I could ONLY come up with a graphic design for it.!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the Honda dealer is unresponsive and screwing me around with pricing for my trade...looks like I will be holding on the the REX until I can get a decent trade on it. I was looking forward to the E as you guys call it :) Well...like I said...thanks guys!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good choice ...

While I really like my 2010 Element, I LOVED my WRX. I would have bought the 2010 WRX but the Honda dealer gave me $5000 on the trade-in -- it was a 2002 with 95,000 miles -- while the Subaru folks wouldn't move off $3500. Go figure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I had one dealer say they don't go by Kelly Blue book because they are out of touch, that they use NADA...then the next dealer said they don't use NADA because of the same thing, and they go by KBB. They just make it up as they go along and hope we are stupid enough to believe they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the Honda dealer is unresponsive and screwing me around with pricing for my trade...looks like I will be holding on the the REX until I can get a decent trade on it. I was looking forward to the E as you guys call it :) Well...like I said...thanks guys!

While not a WRX, I too am struggling with trading.
Current DD is a VW R32, first gen.
It is nearing the end of warranty and will be an expensive car to repair.
MPG slightly less for the E than the R32, but no longer need premium.
Insurance only ~$80 a year less for an Element than the R32.
R32 does not come with a spare tire.
Extra space in the E will be nice.
The point of all this rambling: You can talk yourself into either choice.
Rationalization is a wonderful thing.

ErikF: Your signature shows a 2010 4WD LX AT.
Did you make the trade anyway?
If not, don’t let one dealer stop you of you want the vehicle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I couldn't figure out how to register without putting what kind of car I had. Hahaha. I am actually at a dealer right now. Was looking at an lx but my take the plunge on a ex since they are giving me a better deal. I will own an element in a few minutes! Hopefully I don't regret it. I have a poor history of being patient with cars I end up not liking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most likely I fell for the oldest trick in the book...but when I called they said they had an LX on the lot and when I got there they only had EX's...I was able to get another $750 for my trade however...and really...that is what I wanted anyway. It doesn't seem like there are many major differences between the LX and the EX, but the nicer stereo and wheels. Not sure how big a deal the waterproof rear seats are...but with two 100 lb dogs it can't hurt. I suspect the EX will hold its value better just because it is an EX. I pick it up tomorrow...so I'm excited to start to slow down and not have to worry about the dogs ruining the interior every time we all go some place. I think the first thing I'm going to do is go to the home depot and buy something big and drive around with it in the back for a while :twisted:!
On a side not...I have read about installing a hitch...but have not figured out anything about wiring...the dealer said they come pre wired...but something tells me they are full of shizel. Looks like a hitch can be had for about $150...what is needed to get the wiring up and running...this was one of the major things I wanted to be able to do is tow a small trailer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my first post since I got my E. I traded in a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 for a 2010 LX. I do miss the power but I actually like driving the E. No fear of putting miles on tires or other high maintenance costs. Way better with the dogs and camping. The only time I miss the 3 is in the corners but it was worth it and am very happy with the E.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts