Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a new (used) E owner...going on two weeks in a few more days! Oh, and I ALREADY got a darn chip in my perfectly good windshield just yesterday! I knew it would happen eventually, but not that quick.

Anyway, off topic there. What I'm really writing about is to find out if there is suppose to be a cap or boot or cover on the tube that is just to the left of the transmission fluid dipstick.

It looks like the tube is a breather port for the transmission (automatic, by the way). My E has no cap or anything on this tube...you can look right down it into the trans. When the dealership pulled up a picture of the auto trans it did not show a cap on this tube, but I find that hard to believe.

Can others check theirs for me to see if there is suppose to be a cap of some sort? If you want to really make my day, please take a picture of it!

Thanks so much!
CHAD

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yes there should be a cap on it. just go to auto zone or the local parts place and get a rubber cap for a vacuum hose. thats all it is. and consider your day made then. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
just go to auto zone or the local parts place and get a rubber cap for a vacuum hose. thats all it is.
Actually, it is a breather cap, and a rubber vacuum hose cap will seal it off with no pressure venting ability. The OP should seek a parts person with a brain and get the correct part.

Hello, Lizzurd???

·
12,180 Posts
It comes down to lack of experience more than lack of training. I can train anyone to do this job. As some people seem to think all we do is look up parts. Lack of automotive knowledge and experience is a big problem in our business in the last few years. Add on the fact that a lot of parts in the cataloge are in spots that make no real sense at all. All consider that this cap is something you may get asked to look up maybe once a year.

I have been doing this job for over 20 years now and i still shake my head at things i see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both, Honda Tech and lizzurd, for the input. Yeah, I think I'll try to go back to the dealership and hopefully find somebody more helpful.

Unfortunately, the Honda dealership I went to (which is the only one close) has quite a few bad reviews by others. Seems like the dealership as a whole may be lacking experience.

Anyway, thanks and I'll let you know what I find.

CHAD

·
12,180 Posts
Thank you both, Honda Tech and lizzurd, for the input. Yeah, I think I'll try to go back to the dealership and hopefully find somebody more helpful.

Unfortunately, the Honda dealership I went to (which is the only one close) has quite a few bad reviews by others. Seems like the dealership as a whole may be lacking experience.

Anyway, thanks and I'll let you know what I find.

CHAD

The part number for the cap is 21396-PX5-000.

Sorry i should have included that in my previous post.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yes there should be a cap on it. just go to auto zone or the local parts place and get a rubber cap for a vacuum hose. thats all it is. and consider your day made then. :)
i stand corrected. it is just a little rubber cap but there are "notches" on the under side of it that alow it to breath.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i stand corrected. it is just a little rubber cap but there are "notches" on the under side of it that alow it to breath.
No problem. I at least knew it had to breath, so I wouldn't have purchased anything that didn't allow breathing anyway.

You still provided the picture...worth a thousand words, right?

·
12,180 Posts
They could train a monkey to do my job.....but the monkey wouldn't keep coming back. :D

Now we know where the term monkey wrench came from......

Things have changed so much in the 20 years since i worked in the shop that if i was a young guy starting out now.....I would be thinking twice about it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Now we know where the term monkey wrench came from......

Things have changed so much in the 20 years since i worked in the shop that if i was a young guy starting out now.....I would be thinking twice about it.
I will agree on this one. I started with points and carbs and worked up from there. Now its computers that will tell you mostly whats wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The part number for the cap is 21396-PX5-000.
Unfortunately, the inexperienced Honda dealership I am working with is unable to identify this part number. I think I'm just going to have to come up with my own way of dealing with this...trip to the autoparts store and/or Home Depot should get me a solution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait! After a little digging, the dealership called me back and they had found the part! woo-hoo!

It's titled as a Breather Cap...for $4.39 + tax.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts