Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a problem with the front passenger seatbelt of a 2007 Element locking. No matter how far out it goes, it automatically locks and essentially strangles the person seated there! The drivers side is fine, but the two seats in back do the same locking thing. After 3.5 hours at the dealership, they said that the seatbelt was designed that way for people who put carseats in the front (who does that??).

Is there any modification that can be made so that the passenger in the front is not constantly locked into the seat?

Thanks!

·
Registered
831 Posts
It is the same in our 08. I would also like to know if any one has found a answer to this. Right now my wife uses a larger jim clip to hold the belt off her just enough not to choke her.
Can you replace the passenger side belt mechanism with the same type that is used on the drivers side?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hateful seatbelt!

My wife had problems with the seatbelt in my Civic and when I got my 07 Element the belt problem followed us to that car. The dealer was not really very helpful. It appears that it is a design of the belt system. My wife has some success in using the belt like a normal person if she pulls the belt out slowly and keeps it close to her body before hooking it up. Do not quickly bring it out arms length prior to hooking the belt. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Same here. If my fiance pulls the belt out or unbuckles and rebuckles, it seems to unlock the belt.

I haven't even thought of looking at the mechanism to see how this works and figuring out if I could conjuer up a permanent work around.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 2008 Element we took on our extensive test drive did the same thing... trapping the passenger regardless of how far the seat belt was pulled out. We tried every variation possible, and it always locked. Whether we tried to keep it short, or stretch it all the way out or somewhere in between, it didn't matter. So, we expected the same problem on the one we actually purchased, and I'd even bought some clips ahead of time to try and mitigate the problem. To our surprise, it only locks when extended all the way out (as the seats in the backseat of any auto these days seem to do) but functions "normally" otherwise. Not sure what's different about ours than the one we test drove, but I'm not complaining. Still... if it doesn't do it mine, then there should be a way to adjust it so it doesn't do it on others, shouldn't there?

·
Registered
31 Posts
RE: Seatbelts

These seatbelts are made to accomodate carseats. When you pull the belt all the way out, it will lock, and begin to "ratchet" or "click" one "notch" at a time , until the seatbelt is fully returned to the release position. This prevents any slack in the belt so you can snug up a carseat with the seatbelt.
Once the belt has fully retracted, it should work normally again. (slack when pulling on it gently, lock when pulling on it sharp/hard)
If the belts are not working in this way, replacement is the only option. There is no legal or safe way to modify a seatbelt.
Barry B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front Passenger Seat Belt

I've had the same problem with my seat belt as well. If the belt is pulled out slowly, and not pulled to the end and clipped, it works fine. The dealership states it is a normal design function and is working properly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad I read this. I was getting ready to drop my E off at the dealer to look at.
If someone is brave enough this option maybe able to be disabled. If I get brave enough one weekend to get in the seat and look at the mechanism I will post the results. Of course it has to able to be disabled without disabling the negative G Pendulum that locks the belt in hard braking situations.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Boxingbarry nailed it.

From 2007 owner's manual:

The seat belts in all positions except the driver’s have an additional lockable retractor that must be activated to secure a child seat.

If the shoulder part of the belt is pulled all the way out, the lockable retractor will activate. The belt will retract, but it will not allow the passenger to move freely.

To deactivate the lockable retractor, unlatch the buckle and let the seat belt fully retract. To refasten the seat belt, pull it out only as far as needed.
If the technique above does not work, the belt mechanism is defective and will be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Element seat belt problem.

Has anyone had a problem with the passenger side seatbelts on a 2007 Element, Mine kind of locks up, the shoulder belt does. Any info would be helpfull.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, boatguy. Please fill in your profile.

Can you elaborate on "kind of locks up"?

You know about the automatic locking feature?

The seat belts in all positions except the driver’s have an additional lockable retractor that must be activated to secure a child seat (see page 48).

If the shoulder part of the belt is pulled all the way out, the lockable retractor will activate. The belt will retract, but it will not allow the passenger to move freely.

To deactivate the lockable retractor, unlatch the buckle and let the seat belt fully retract. To refasten the seat belt, pull it out only as far as needed.
(2007 owner's manual, page 21)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Searching Works...

My wife has been complaining about the functionality of the passenger side belt since we got my '08 back in the beginning of August.

Today was another annoying "Seatbelt day" so, I did a search and found THIS informative thread. Thanks to those who have posted to date.

Now, I guess the question I have is as follows:
Since I have neither the need nor the desire to carry a child car seat in my front passenger seat, can I or can I have Honda, alter/replace the retractor to allow it to work like the driver's side??? :confused:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
isnt it illegal in most places to have a child seat in the front passenger seat? so why would honda design it so that you can, essentially, break the law? Its not like the front passenger seat and the back seats have the exact same seat belt mechanism, so why design it that way?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had this seat belt problem with my 2007 EX when I test drove (rode in the right seat) of the E, but I am a big guy and I always get a seatbelt extender from the dealership where I buy the car, and this keeps the belt from having to be pulled out so far because the 6" belt extension stays hooked to the floor buckle and the belt travel is not as great and does not look-up unless the driver slams on the brakes. But now the problem begins After buying the car as with every car I stopped by the parts dept. to order the (fatman) extender which is always free of charge from the dealers. The safety equipment has to work for everyone driving the car or so I thought. I was told that Honda does not make an extender, never has never will. I was shocked and mad that I bought a vehicle that I could not use the seatbelt without chocking myself. I called Honda to be told If I don't fit in the car to buy a bigger car. This was totally dumb since every other vehicle I have owned since 1996, I was able to get an extension for. After a little digging on the Internet I found that a six inch extension from a 2006 Buick Rainier ,Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy would fit the front just fine, The buckle was even the same as the Honda. The belts were made in Canada for GM and Honda and other companies. I just got a vin number from a 2006 Buick Rainier and ordered one from the Buick dealer at no charge, and I am good to go no chocking belt. This will not fit the back and I have not checked out what will fit the rear. You can not modify the belt retractors on the 2007 E because they have a pretension device in the retractor that locks the belt. I posted this for information only, because it is not legal to modify any safety equipment. If the extensions are available for GM vehicles I do not see why Honda does not offer them. Which is safer a seltbelt extender or not wearing a belt at all? The no belt solution is not legal in every place I know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts