Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At times it is neccessary to keep our dogs in the car on cooler days and the preference is not to have the car all closed up. I am wondering if anyone has rigged something so that you can leave your dogs in the car, tailgate up, back window open. Something that can keep the dogs from getting out over the tailgate. Our dogs are too big to crate, as this would eleviate the problem all together, but we can't fit three crates. As long as the back is wide open airflow is sufficient on days that are about 70 degrees or less. I know there are tie down hooks, but I can't find a good fitting cargo net for that size area.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Several tricks for improving ventilation:
- pop the side door windows
- pop the skylight
- a battery powered fan - I have 4D cell Coleman 'flying saucer' over my dog's seat
- sunshade on windshield

- 'lock' the upper tailgate several inches open. We've discussed this option a few times in the past. What you need is a short rod that can hook around the loop on the lower tailgate, and hook into the latch on the upper. Someone found a commercially made one, though I don't recall what it is called. Dog show supply places might carry it.

If you experiment, you'll find that many metal loops hook into the latch of the upper tailgate. For example the hook of a common bungee cord works. So it wouldn't be hard to make a tailgate prop that is dog proof. A locking one would be trickier.

Here's what I had in mind, the Ventlock (found via google search for 'show dog tailgate prop')
http://www.ventlock.com/tailgatelock.php

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
S

- 'lock' the upper tailgate several inches open. We've discussed this option a few times in the past. What you need is a short rod that can hook around the loop on the lower tailgate, and hook into the latch on the upper. Someone found a commercially made one, though I don't recall what it is called. Dog show supply places might carry it.

If you experiment, you'll find that many metal loops hook into the latch of the upper tailgate. For example the hook of a common bungee cord works. So it wouldn't be hard to make a tailgate prop that is dog proof. A locking one would be trickier.

Here's what I had in mind, the Ventlock (found via google search for 'show dog tailgate prop')
http://www.ventlock.com/tailgatelock.php
Hey Paulj, this is a good idea but it's only dog proof right? People could still access the dogs though if I understand it correctly. oooh, I wouldn't want some one to reach in to the dogs when my back was turned or something.

Although It's still a good idea. Think I'll look into this. There are time when I need to wait with the dogs inside, and I'm right there.

Thanks,
jurn

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I think it locks. Check the FAQ. The hook end is screwed snug to the lower tailgate loop, and probably can't be removed without twisting the bar. The other end is secured in the upper tailgate latch, and can't be removed without unlocking the tailgate.

I have not seen one in person. There was a thread about it, but I don't recall if anyone had tried it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
First of all welcome to the club and you will find a lot of great answers here. What I have used with my Saints is the biggest X pen and tie it around the inside and I use the right rear door to get the critters in and out and so thats the only opening for the pen. It keeps them from trying to ride in your lap and you will be able to open the rear hatch. It works great unless you have a dog like one I had that always tried and tested every fence to find a way out. Watched him push the X pen around the show grounds one day.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all welcome to the club and you will find a lot of great answers here. What I have used with my Saints is the biggest X pen and tie it around the inside and I use the right rear door to get the critters in and out and so thats the only opening for the pen. It keeps them from trying to ride in your lap and you will be able to open the rear hatch. It works great unless you have a dog like one I had that always tried and tested every fence to find a way out. Watched him push the X pen around the show grounds one day.:)

That is a really good idea, and one that might work well for my three Bernese. I just have to find an Xpen that is a good fit. I was trying to rig a baby gate in the rear section, but that was terrible. THanks! Non of mine are escape artist, at least not yet, and my Hoodini passed away last year. So this maybe a good solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Paulj, this is a good idea but it's only dog proof right? People could still access the dogs though if I understand it correctly. oooh, I wouldn't want some one to reach in to the dogs when my back was turned or something.

Although It's still a good idea. Think I'll look into this. There are time when I need to wait with the dogs inside, and I'm right there.

Thanks,
jurn
I guess depending on how big you buy the bar would determine the ability to escape or trying to weasle out. Air is key and all the other options you mentioned are used all the time. At dog shows, dog stealing is not really a problem as the parking areas are usually guarded or gated. Good idea, I think I will order one!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love the ex-pen idea! My dogs are small enough for crates (Cardigan Welsh Corgis) but I Love the idea for my larger dog friends. I want to get a ventlock for my E, even though the dogs are crated I have a sense of security having the tailgate "locked" while it is open.

snowpawpass - do you ever show in the Northeast? Our next shows will be 8/21-22 in West Springfield, MA. Berners are great dogs. We lost our Berner X this past November at the age of 13. I still miss him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the ex-pen idea! My dogs are small enough for crates (Cardigan Welsh Corgis) but I Love the idea for my larger dog friends. I want to get a ventlock for my E, even though the dogs are crated I have a sense of security having the tailgate "locked" while it is open.

snowpawpass - do you ever show in the Northeast? Our next shows will be 8/21-22 in West Springfield, MA. Berners are great dogs. We lost our Berner X this past November at the age of 13. I still miss him.

We are showing sunday in Keene, NH and thinking about springfield and our regional in september. We are newer to showing and were at the Vermont Clusters last month. Great age for your Berner anything! That is something to be soo proud of!

·
Registered
37 Posts
We are showing sunday in Keene, NH and thinking about springfield and our regional in september. We are newer to showing and were at the Vermont Clusters last month. Great age for your Berner anything! That is something to be soo proud of!
A Cardi I bred (& co-own) will be in Keene, but I am unable to make it. I wish you much luck. Showing can be rewarding, just overlook the poor sports that pop up now and then. I hope you can make it to W. Springfield and we can meet!

We rescued Jake when he was 10 and loved him through his golden years. He was a grand gentle giant. My husband said we cornered the market with Jake being a Berner x GSD cross as he outlived both his breeds by far.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cargo net

A trick my wife came up with: We bought the Honda rear cargo net for the "E". Instead of using it as a cargo net, we unfolded it and all the hooks attached nicely at the two lower left and right eyes and attached at the upper baby seat eyes. This created a "net" fence with the lower gate closed and the upper hatch open. It keeps our dogs in but with plenty of air. Now, I wouldn't leave and walk down the street, but if your tailgating or something and you just want a break from keeping your eyes on em, this works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A trick my wife came up with: We bought the Honda rear cargo net for the "E". Instead of using it as a cargo net, we unfolded it and all the hooks attached nicely at the two lower left and right eyes and attached at the upper baby seat eyes. This created a "net" fence with the lower gate closed and the upper hatch open. It keeps our dogs in but with plenty of air. Now, I wouldn't leave and walk down the street, but if your tailgating or something and you just want a break from keeping your eyes on em, this works.
That is what I was thinking, I tried one net also but it was too small, I will look at the honda site and see the dimensions of that one.

THanks
Heidi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts