Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching on these forums for a bit on the stereo install for my wifes 08 SC

She is ordering a DNX-7100. I read all sorts of stuff about the wiring and feel pretty good about it, thing is, we are not impressed with the stock SUB. I can try sealing it, but I don't think it will be enough. That said, I'm thinking about picking up an amp and running the Element Designs sub that was mentioned in some threads.

Does anyone have some pictures of the stock enclosure modified so I can see what works? I want it to look completely stock if possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
You may want to try running the stock sub with an aftermarket amp? I recently put on oem sub in my LX with an aftermarket head unit and amp, granted I have no idea what it sounds like in an oem application but wired it directly into my alpine amp I was quite surprised how well it works.
I simply cut the connection clip off the stock sub wiring, joined the two black speaker wires together, the two red's together and then ran both to a small amp I mounted under the back seat. I have the gain's turned way down on the amp and the sub hit's quite hard, I'm very impressed with it's performance for such a small little sub.
Anyway..just my 2-cents, might be worth giving it a try before you buy another sub?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Glad it worked out for you and you like how it sounds. Depending on your music I think it does a pretty good job. Drew:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
i dunno, in the end, just looking at the quality of the sound, performance, and cost.

I just buckled, and instead of doing the stock sub modification, I bought the small fully enclosed and powered MTX Audio ThunderLink.

it's alot better than the bazooka bass tube, and takes up less room since it can be mounted laying flat or vertically. So I still have function of the back. I am a fan of nice clean bass, none of that ghetto blaster boomy stuff. The best part of the setup, is that if you do it correctly, you dont need to run the ugly external bass knob, and you can do it all from the head unit still.

AND! the stock sub still works and is pumping it out at the same time with the new one.

i'll go take some pictures later, and post them so you can see.

for the price, you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Once installed, it looks completely stock.

I had to mount the sub from the rear while I had the enclosure in half, because the outside diameter of the sub was just a little too big to fit front mount. Or you can make youself a trim ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Once installed, it looks completely stock.

I had to mount the sub from the rear while I had the enclosure in half, because the outside diameter of the sub was just a little too big to fit front mount. Or you can make youself a trim ring.
What kind of sub is that, what amp are you using to run it? How much better does it sound than the stock unit?

and one final question. Where can I hide a 5 channel amp to run my system?

thanks

Mitch

I would even consider a good 3 channel amp and run the rears from the radio... any suggestions?

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not sure exactly, but once you cut out all the internal plastic port, there's plenty of room for any 6" or probably an 8" sub.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The sub is an Elemental Designs 7Kv.2. It sounds great. Way better than stock.

I'm running the whole system with the new Alpine PDX-5 five channel amp. Here's the thread: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45816
I was motivated by your install and just completed mine last night. It sounds absolutely fantastic. the 7kv.2 is surprisingly loud in that little enclosure. I mounted the 7 inch sub from the inside, sealed everythign with caulk, wired it, stuffed the box with poly fill and sealed the seam as well.

The hardest part was filling in the port, but it wasn't too bad. This would be a TOUGH job without a dremel and some appropriate accessories. Nevertheless, it was an amazing upgrade for $60.

I'm running one of the new slim Sony amps in Mono. FIts under the passenger seat with room to spare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.