Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my Ellie shudders/vibrates in the front end when it hits about 40-45 mph. I can feel it strongly in the steering wheel & it stops when I let off of the gas. The issue has been there for months, but is getting increasingly worse and more frequent with time. I have searched around the internet to try to find a place to start. Anyone know what I may be able to narrow it down to? I have tried to take it in several times but of course she's either on her best behavior at the mechanics or they just look at me like I'm making it up.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the shudder immediately stops when I let off the gas.

I have taken it to an Auto parts store and had the computer scanned.The computer did not have any error codes in it.

The rhythm of the shudder does not change when it happens. It is pretty steady.

I used to have a Volkswagen that had a similar issue when a coil pack would go bad. It's as if one of the cylinders is not firing and the engine is studdering until you back off the gas and it immediately stops.

I thought maybe the computer or clutch might not be making the shift to the next gear smoothly since it shouldn't be an engine issue (no misfire codes or Oxygen sensor errors). I'm stumped and want to have a general idea of what is wrong and if it is something I might be able to fix myself.:roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same shaking issue

I was actually coming to the board since I have been having the same problem and am getting kind of fed up with it. Mine seems to happen when the RPM's are about 1700-1850 or so, and when the speed is about 32-35, and under a slow accelerating or cruising amount of gas pedal pressure. It feels like the front driver side is shaking, and it is also felt some in the steering column...although it may just be me hanging on while being jostled that makes it appear to move:grin:. If I give it more gas or stop, the problem ceases.

I have had this issue for the past set of tires(Certified Purchase from a Honda dealer), as well as the new tires, and balancing was done with the last tire purchase.

Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the speed range of 35-40mph I would say without a doubt you are having torque shudder. Try changing your fluid with only oem honda fluid and if the problem is still slightly there just add roughly 2-3 ounces of an HFM tranny additive to the tranny and drive it 50 miles. (HFM = High Friction Modifier and if you drive Honda's it is important to learn how important this is.)
-I had a trans. flush done but am still trying to find the date and what they used in my vehicle.

-PurelyElemental- Do a search for "torque converter shudder," as I had seen this suggested in another thread on this site, and it sounds like that may be my problem...unfortunately...

-I watched my RPMs this morning and they are around the same as yours. At about 2000 (40-45 mph) the vehicle begins to shudder, and my RPMs drop to around 1800 or so as the shudder is occouring. Then I let off the gas and the shudder stops immediately. I had also read that others were putting their Ellie's into overdrive and the shudder would stop then as well.

-All I'm pretty sure of it that I have a huge bill waiting for me in the near future...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts