Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I got my hands on a 2003 EX auto last October with right at 88k miles on it. I've taken it to 97k, but have an issue that I am just not sure what to think about. First of all the car has a very extensive maintenance record with almost exclusively dealer servicing. The only aftermarket mod is a cold air intake (done around 30k by previous owner). So my issue is that when accelerating from rest with anything but the gentlest of acceleration the front end shudders like the popular "grooved pavement" effect. Note, this is not happening at speed (as with the common 40 mph shuddering fixed by an atf fluid change), but only when accelerating from rest, and only if I accelerate too quickly. Of course I hear the terrific whine from the intake, but the shuddering is making me a bit nervous. I just did an atf fluid "flush" with the 10 quart method provided on this forum, but the issue is still there. I am about ready to take it to a dealer, but would love for someone here to say "it's okay, not really a problem or here's a quick fix". This has been ongoing for about eight months and hasn't gotten any worse, but certainly not better. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clarification.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do think it might be important to note that this happens even if the element is not turning at all. I am used to CV diagnosis for noises that appear on turning, and it seems the usual diff oil replacement fix applies for issues when turning. But this is happening even when the wheels are straight as an arrow. Thought about trying the diff oil change anyway, but the next stop might just be the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eww-an E you are the Man! I just got finished replacing my transmission mount (top one), drove to the store and voila...no more problems. And the fix was only $44.10 shipped from RockAuto.

Thanks guys!

-Alex

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Eww-an E you are the Man! I just got finished replacing my transmission mount (top one), drove to the store and voila...no more problems. And the fix was only $44.10 shipped from RockAuto.

Thanks guys!

-Alex

You're welcome Alex, glad to hear replacing that mount fixed your problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts