Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an EX AWD a couple days ago, and I did NOT have the side air bags installed - my old car didn't have them. I do have a 7 year old daughter, and reading here it seems to be a big focus. I've also heard elsewhere that the side air bags are dangerous for young children (not on this car, but in general) since it ends up catching their head and not the torso at all, causing pressure on the child's neck.

My question is, does everyone feel its critical to have these airbags installed? I'm concerned I missed an important safety feature. Also, for the dealers, is this something that can be done somewhat easily by the dealership's maintenance department?

·
Registered
93 Posts
(I am not representing a dealer)
I do have a 7 year old daughter, and reading here it seems to be a big focus. I've also heard elsewhere that the side air bags are dangerous for young children (not on this car, but in general) since it ends up catching their head and not the torso at all, causing pressure on the child's neck.
ALL airbags (front or side) are dangerous for children. That's why they should sit in the back seat.
Also, for the dealers, is this something that can be done somewhat easily by the dealership's maintenance department?
If you didn't order them when your E was built, then I think you are out of luck. These are not dealer installable.
Still have not seen a comparison crash test specific to an E with and without side air bags, so everything you will see on here is either opinions or speculation. My SPECULATION is that side air bags would help you more than hurt in a side impact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it possible to "add" the side air bag option to an EX? Just reviewed the side impact results and I now not very happy with what the dealer said would likely be the results - based on the CR-V, which he said had 5 for both front and side. :roll:

·
Registered
220 Posts
It isn't possible to add the side airbags. If you didn't purchase an Element with them installed from the factory, you are indeed out of luck. You would have to either sell your E and buy a new one with SRS or trade your E for one with SRS. Not the cheapest route, but what dollar amount/extent to you wish to go to for the added safety?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.