Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ditto on the threads.
We STILL have never gotten an satisfactory answer as to why EVERY year our SRS light indicates a fault other than a vague answer about wiring under the seat having been rerouted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pictures of faulty drivers side bag.....

Here are some pictures of my '05 Element on a bad day on I-95. Rolled 4x (F.H.P.) ... the A and B pillars held up quite well.

he drivers side airbag, only partially deployed and I suffered major trauma to my left shoulder - had it deployed fully, I probably would not need constructive surgery. Oh well. Actually, I am quite fortunate to be alive!

Honda tech drove down from Atlanta to Jacksonville and looked my toaster, and said .."Looks like they performed exactly as designed"Y

Yeah, right. He wouldn't be saying that ... if HE WAS driving that day!!!

P.S. There is the "HONDA" . . . we want you as a customer face .... and then there is the HONDA LEGAL face. Not pretty.

As Fred Thompson so succintly put;
"Litigation; where go into as a Pig - and come out a sausage!"

Comments, criticisms appreciated. David Miller - Lake Park, Ga.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Side airbags problem - still here

Had my driver side airbag blow for no reason this weekend. The dealer said they never heard of this, but three of us have reported the same thing to the NHTSA, all 2003 Elements with a VIN that starts with 5J6YH28...

Bet the huge recall Honda has for airbags in 2001 and 2002 cars extends to our toasters?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Two different issues. The 2001-2002 recall is for airbags that deploy with excessive force.

You seem to have some sort of sensor issue that may or may not be problematic. The first part of the VIN doesn't indicate enough much. All Elements will have a similar starting VIN. The unique part is in the final six digits.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 5J6 translates to a USA manufactured Honda, YH2 is Element 2.4L DOHC VTEC 4WD, 8 5 Door, 4 speed automatic transmission. The next digit would identify the grade, LX, EX, etc, then a check digit, year, factory. The last six are consecutive production unit and would be what you need to determine if they are from batch.

The current airbag recall is: "A manufacturing error can produce over-pressurization of the driver’s (front) airbag inflator during airbag
deployment. If an affected airbag deploys, the increased internal pressure may cause the inflator casing to rupture. Metal fragments could pass through
the airbag cushion material, possibly causing an injury or fatality to vehicle occupants." See Honda Service Bulletin 08-093 revised Feb. 12th, 2010.

I have not heard of any Elements being included in it at this time but obviously this is subject to change at any time.

Had my driver side airbag blow for no reason this weekend. The dealer said they never heard of this, but three of us have reported the same thing to the NHTSA, all 2003 Elements with a VIN that starts with 5J6YH28...

Bet the huge recall Honda has for airbags in 2001 and 2002 cars extends to our toasters?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.