Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Not sure where to post this. I have an 08 EX. Earlier today my "side airbag off" light on my dash came on. I have never seen this on before. There was nothing in the passenger seat and I didn't change anything. The passenger air bag light in the middle of the console works as it should.

If someone sits in the passenger seat, the light on the dash goes off. But whenever the seat is empty, the light is on. I've restarted the car several times, moved the seat around, etc but nothing fixes it.

Is there a way that I could have accidentally turned the airbag off?

Based on the info above, is it safe for a passenger to ride in the car?

Really hoping this isn't another expensive tiny thing I have to fix. They seem to just keep on coming.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It's most likely a failure in the passenger seat belt buckle (Toyota has the same problem) but without looking at the SRS codes, there's no way to know. This is one of those times I advise people to go see a professional.

Please note that there is a way to read SRS codes by shorting two connectors on the OBD connector but I've found on my Element that this method told me that nothing was wrong until I hooked up a scanner that can read those same codes and found out I had THREE Of them - one a result of the airbag recall being done and the code not being cleared afterward. [SURPRISE!] You can't "accidentally" turn off any of the airbags. Elements don't have any way to manually do that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's most likely a failure in the passenger seat belt buckle (Toyota has the same problem) but without looking at the SRS codes, there's no way to know. This is one of those times I advise people to go see a professional.

Please note that there is a way to read SRS codes by shorting two connectors on the OBD connector but I've found on my Element that this method told me that nothing was wrong until I hooked up a scanner that can read those same codes and found out I had THREE Of them - one a result of the airbag recall being done and the code not being cleared afterward. [SURPRISE!] You can't "accidentally" turn off any of the airbags. Elements don't have any way to manually do that.

Thank you. Is this an indicator that the airbag is actually defective and it is unsafe to have a passenger ride in the car, or is it just a sensor failure or something?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It means there's no way to be sure of what the problem is without more diagnostics. I'd say high probability that it's not going to blow off and hurt someone but it might not blow off if it's needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This happens to my E on rainy days, did it rain near you within the last 24 hours or so? Not sure why, just noticing the correlation which is not necessarily causation.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This happens to my E on rainy days, did it rain near you within the last 24 hours or so? Not sure why, just noticing the correlation which is not necessarily causation.
It's actually been pouring here for the past 3 days straight. Stopped this morning. Light is still on though. I made an appointment to bring it into the dealer in the morning. Do you think it makes sense to give it some time? My wife rides with me a lot in the passenger seat and I'm mostly just concerned about safety.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Intersting. Mine usually turns off when it dries out in a day or two, curious to see if yours has the same result. I don't worry about it, but good luck

·
Registered
249 Posts
Interesting I am original owner on a 07 ex and my side airbag light has been coming on on rainy days for years

1 - 11 of 11 Posts