Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found an arm rest solution for the passenger side of their E's yet. That is one accessory I wish they had. I have no idea why it is not on their or at least is not an option. I have not been able to find one online yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is an "Armrest/With Storage" listed on my Element accessories sheet I got at purchase. Was told it is for the passengers of the EX as the driver has a factory installed one attatched to the seat on the EX. Have not seen pics of it and not sure exactly how or where it installs. Listed at $145. Good luck.

E-Man.
EX.
SOP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The "Armrest with Storage" replaces the driver side arm rest. I believe it would be upside down on the passenger side.

However it seems like you could then put the original driver side armrest onto the passenger side. Check the installation instructions for the "Armrest with Storage" at HandA. It looks doable.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i've been in contact with some folks in japan about getting the parts to install the stock japanese armest on the passenger seat (their driver's side).

i'll let u know how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have been plagued by a number a passengers that complain that there is no armrest for them.

My question Sheniferous is if you know if our factory passenger seat is set up to accept an armrest? I am assuming that the inner frame of the seat is what supports the armrest. Are you saying that because that seat is the driver seat in Japan it already is set up? That would be to good to be true.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is my understanding that the locking arm rest for the driver side is so large it will cover the whole distance between the seats. Being so, if you are willing to share it might be used by both driver and passenger. I did order one from HandA and still waiting for their shipping. Since they don't ship to Puerto Rico, I had them send it to my nephew in Conn. who will them ship it over. It has been two weeks since I ordered and it hasn't arrived yet to CN.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the larger armrest. It does not completely take up the space between the two seats, but almost. It is perfect for use by the driver and the passenger. Perfect solution for the wimping armrest the E came with--the larger armrest should have been standard!

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
273 Posts
The storage armrest is wide, but it doesn't fully fill the space between the seats. There is room to reinstall the original driver's armrest on the passenger side. I haven't done it yet (and may not do so at all).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your suggestions: I have the five speed so the factory add on is not applicable. I also need to use most of the space to place the back wheel of a tandem bike when I transport it. I think I will just get the Target cooler and see how that works out. I agree that is one of the wimpiest arm rests in the world. But even a wimpy arm rest on the passenger side would be better than none at all. Only a minor complaint - I just love that car!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think even the 5speed has the same mounting area under the uphostelry since all the seats are the same. The problem is that you have to cut the uphostelry to get to it. I'm sure there are some members with 5 speeds that have done this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 5-speed EX and ordered the storage arm rest anyway. It was an easy job to fit in place of the existing rest and does not impede anything too much at all. You need to raise it to plug in the seatbelt and stretch a bit for the hand brake but it's so useful it's well worth it. Coming from a Subaru Forester, I missed its plethora of storage nooks and crannies.

Looks to me like the original rest could be used for the passenger side with some persuasion but I'd have to cut the fabric there to see if a mount exists (can't feel one). Still thinking about that; where's an endoscope when you need one?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I wonder if a magnet would find the bracket. It looks to be a big peiece of steel. Or a very fine sewing needle. You could probe with that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice idea, so I did that and there is something in the right spot. I'll find something for a patch (if unsuccessful) and then take a look.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Keep us posted, please. I think it's just a matter of rotating the mount so that the armrest on the passenger side will work properly.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A good discussion, yes, but I would like to see some photos of the hardware that is in the passenger seat. It sounds like it necessary to drill out the centre pivot from what was described. As well, we mentioned about having to offset the bolts with some nuts. If anyone trys this, could they document it? Also love to see what it looks like with the storage armrest and the smaller one as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts