Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Fellow E Owners,

I have a 2005 E that blew a head gasket just a couple of months after I purchased it. Due to the costs, and that my son needs to learn, I decided to do the work myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but no means an expert. I've rebuilt about 2 engines 30 years ago, so enough about me.

My issue is that while trying to remove the timing chain cover, one of the side motor mount bolts is too long and hits the sidewall. This is preventing me from getting that part out so I can remove the timing chain and the valves. I'd need about 1" lift on the motor to get it above the side wall, but I can't imagine that removing the timing chain cover on this car would require me to unmount the engine, lift and remove the bolt, then lower it back to continue to work.

Image of the issue: Side Motor Mount Bolt

So, I'm looking to see if I missed something, or maybe a step that I didn't read or think of. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just did a head gasket on a 2003. I ended up placing a board across the oil pan and lifted the engine a few inches. The hardest part of the job for me was figuring out how all to disconnect all the connectors on the sensors.

I ended up doing the timing chain, water pump, serp. belt and thermostat while I was in there.

Had >200k on the engine and nothing has been replaced

tools to make it go much easier
bolt extractors, pblaster,
extendable mirror, magnetic retrieval tool, flexible led light
ratcheting wrench with a 3/8 socket adapter + various extensions
more clearance than ratchet but mainly used on water pump.

take photos of things before and during disassembly
while things are apart you may want to crack loose things like the starter bolts and put some anti-seize on them for future service.

this video helped me out with the mystery of the timing chain stuff
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPCwI9PNj6Y

this was for removing the head pay attention to using the wire ties on the rockers
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK6blF6GjJs

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zebra007

Really appreciate the info and the comments. Just checking, you undid all of the engine mounts to get it to lift few inches or just the one side?

As to the videos, that first one would have been so helpful!!! Wish I had seen it earlier.

The second video I already saw, but haven't been able to get that far. It did remind me that I didn't set the crankshaft and TDC together when I removed the pulley. I wasn't worried about TDC until I had that cover off, but this reminded me that I should have been.

This car was bought used from an auction, ran great for about 1k miles, then blew a head gasket. I suspect that the previous owner had the same issue, so I'm not sure how hot that engine has been in the past. When it blew with me, I immediately pulled over and towed it to the shop. The temp gauges went to red, but I suspect it was due to the loss of coolant. My end goal is to have a working engine and car. But ultimately, if it goes south or the head is warped, we are going to either replace the entire engine or scrap the car. My son really want it though so I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I didn't loosen any other engine mounts or brackets. Jacked it up using the oil pan make sure you use something that spreads the weight across the whole pan. I usually use wood on top of the jack.

Since the car isn't your primary transportation the job isn't really that bad to do.

What state are you located in? I had to deal with some rusted fasteners being in NJ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I ended up releasing the other mounts and it came out after lifting the engine.

As to the state, I'm in CA and so far very little rust. From the vehicle history, the car remained in the valley area's for the most part. Everything has been pretty easy so far, really just trying to get that cover out has been the biggest pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts