Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do we really needed? look wise? I know some suv looks really funny w/o the side steps. Since the element its not a normal SUV size, does side step serve a purpose?
For those with side steps, share your opinion pls.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unless you are very short or like the look of them I can't see any function of the side steps. The Element does not have a high entry so you would have to be pretty short to need them. I am 6'5" and my wife is 5'9" and we have no need.

·
Registered
608 Posts
To each thier own, but my wife and I did not like them. There was just something about the look that was not for us.

I am 5'5" and my wife is 5'8", we don't need them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sharp,

I gotta say, once installed, and while I know that they are just stick on pieces, they do look good. We ordered the interior trim, and all came in but the switch trim. I can tell you, that the rest does dress it up quite a bit. I know it is all personal taste, but we love it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haven't gotten my E yet but have ordered the side steps for it. On our test drive, my 5'2" wife said she really would need them and I personally think they dress it real nicely. Once we have thge E home, I'll let you know how they work.

RayO

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I am still waiting on my accessories.. but I had 2 reasons for ordering the side step..

i do like the look, it kinda gives it a finish.. but again this is a personalization more than a NEED..

yes overall it is rather low step in, but for the back it does help..

I do also have alot of short lil friends.. sooo just a nicety for them also. I seem to attract little italian people like crazy, smiles. Also my little grandma-in-law and mom-in-law are little too.. well my mom-in-law is not tiny but it is just that fine line that might make it hard for her to get in and out, and I would like her to be comfortable.. great woman!

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I put steps on my chevy 4x4 the method of mounting connected the frame to the cab through the steps. This transfered road noise to the cab. Not much, but Noticeable. This probable won't be the case with the Element since it's a unibody construction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the side steps because I think the car looks unfinished with out them. After having them they do come in handy, especially as a place to wipe your feet. They also help my mom, who is 5'1"-5'2" get in and out of the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote:e18a820e18="DarkwingD"]I got the side steps because I think the car looks unfinished with out them. After having them they do come in handy, especially as a place to wipe your feet. They also help my mom, who is 5'1"-5'2" get in and out of the car.[/quote:e18a820e18]see thats how i feel also. Will itlook unfinished w/o them

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
tommy.roks: are you asking if it will look unfinished, or are you agreeing.

I also like the look with the side step.. if you are unsure how it will look, go to hondacars.com and when you "build" you element it shows you the accessories as you add them.. so you can have a good idea of what they will look like. Really nice feature.

When mine get here I will add photos of the side steps and more.. anyone else who already has them.. pop those photos on in.. smiles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Side steps - for me, completely aesthetic, I just love the way they look. My dealer happens to have quite the pull when it comes to snagging cars, and it seems accessories as well. I only waited two days for my car, and my accessories were on it when I picked it up. 8) I couldn't imagine my E without tinting, carpets, armrest, or sidesteps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi everyone... this is my first post to this group, so I guess this will also serve as my greeting to you all :)

Anyway, I got my Element on Jan 23, with side steps. As many others have noted, I just thought it looked better with them. However, I also find them to be rather practical. I also have roof-mounted bike racks, and it is much easier to use the side steps to put my bike up there than it is to open the doors and stand inside the interior of the E (the doors still need to be open when putting the bike up there, but the side steps give me a better position)...

That's my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Welcome Puppy!! Congrats on your new Element!

Great thought on the side steps with the roof rack, thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
:wink: I would say "Never leave home without them"! I bought them for cosmetic reasons...............but like so many things.......once you have them....... you use the hell out of them.
Everybody that gets in and out of my Element, steps onto them first, and then into the vehicle. I also found them handy to stand on, when washing and waxing the roof. I also love the way they have the word "Element" embossed into the rubber facing. I think they are the BADDEST![/b]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think that they look great but I got them for more practical reasons. They protect the lower part of the element. If you spend any time on gravel roads or fire roads, they will help prevent chiping. (Its the same reason I got the mud guards.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can you tell me if they might also help prevent door dings from adjacent parked cars? Those big unprotected doors scare the hell out of me when I have to park in a busy lot and I wondered if they stick out far enough to offer some protection. What do you think? :(

·
Registered
894 Posts
Do the side steps take away from the 650 lbs that is recommended for passenger/cargo? I would think they do, but I would like some clarification.

Iskie

·
Registered
608 Posts
While I don't know I will place a guess.

I would say that the side steps won't help against a car parked too close. Another car's doors would open against the Elements side. The other car's doors would hit it higher than the side steps. I had a similar problem in my last truck. I had running boards on that, and still got dinged from other cars.

As far as the weight limit, well, I would say it would not matter, as each item you add would add to the weight that the Element carried. I would say Honda must have guessed that each person would add things, so to me, I would say that Honda must have put the weight limit on after all the options that they sell were added.

Now, I don't know, but that is a quasi educated guess

If someone knows more than I do, please share with us.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, they just look great.
Don't you think you owe it to your little Element buddy to have all the best goodies honda can offer to make it look good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts