Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting side steps on my new E. Does anyone have the official Honda steps ? Any after-market steps ? Opinions on either or both ? Would love to see photos as well. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Try doing a search for them here on the forum. I'm sure there has been plenty posted about them all over.

And welcome. Do you have an element and where are you located? Please fill in your profile so we know a little bit about you.:)

Edit: I pressed reply and then saw that all of your profile has been filled out and you are the very lucky owner of an 09.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Since no one has been one real help, here is my two cents:

I contemplated getting aftermarket steps, but the shape of the first generation side steps, the more oval as opposed to round look was more appealing to me. I was really iffy on the color of the OEM steps for quite some time. Then, I decided to get the steps powder coated black. I believe there are photos on my Car Domain link in my signature. I prefer this look to the second generation OEM steps because the new steps are just too square. It does not fit the Element well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey demansia got to see the 2009 OEM sidesteps (on an E). I like them better then all the others. They stick out far enough so you can actually use them as a side step. The other ones are just too damn close IMO. Sorry I don't have them or a picture but you could look on H and A's site for a picture.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
09 Steps on my 07 SC, here are pics:

They look great, and function as they should.

Hey demansia got to see the 2009 OEM sidesteps (on an E). I like them better then all the others. They stick out far enough so you can actually use them as a side step. The other ones are just too damn close IMO. Sorry I don't have them or a picture but you could look on H and A's site for a picture.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I prefer this look to the second generation OEM steps because the new steps are just too square. It does not fit the Element well.
I disagree with your opinion that the new steps do not fit the Element well. I have had the 05-08 steps on my E and have since replaced them with 09 steps. My regular passengers and I have had plenty of time to evaluate them fully. The new 09 steps look better and fit better than the previous OEM steps.

The 09's do indeed incorporate more squarish styling to its oval shape, but only enough to actually compliment the Element's shape. They also sit at the proper distance and height where they are truly functional as steps compared to the previous generation steps. They have two attachment points rather than three compared to the older models giving them a less cluttered look. They also already come in black.

Demansia, since you have an 09 E, I would highly recommend you get the 09 OEM steps if you are considering getting OEM's. Please follow this link to a post I made giving a small comparison along with pics between the older and the newer steps on my 04 E. If you wish, I can post additional photos of the 09's (I do not have any other pics of the older steps anymore).

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=761335#post761335

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Agreed, the 09 steps fit (appearance and fitment) well. They do compliment the E's shape since it's a squarish vehicle and the 09's are even more square.

I disagree with your opinion that the new steps do not fit the Element well. I have had the 05-08 steps on my E and have since replaced them with 09 steps. My regular passengers and I have had plenty of time to evaluate them fully. The new 09 steps look better and fit better than the previous OEM steps.

The 09's do indeed incorporate more squarish styling to its oval shape, but only enough to actually compliment the Element's shape. They also sit at the proper distance and height where they are truly functional as steps compared to the previous generation steps. They have two attachment points rather than three compared to the older models giving them a less cluttered look. They also already come in black.

Demansia, since you have an 09 E, I would highly recommend you get the 09 OEM steps if you are considering getting OEM's. Please follow this link to a post I made giving a small comparison along with pics between the older and the newer steps on my 04 E. If you wish, I can post additional photos of the 09's (I do not have any other pics of the older steps anymore).

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=761335#post761335

·
Registered
31 Posts
Newly Painted OEM Sides Steps on 08

Just finished installing my sidesteps & will post better pics later in another thread. Here is what the oval EOM sidestep looks like on an 08. These were new but discounted because of shipping damage. So what the heck, I decided to paint them. I removed the plastic step and end caps. I used Krylon Fusion "Satin Black" on the end caps. I chose Rustolem Truck Bed Coating after I sanded the oval step & scuffed up the brackets (brackets really impossible to sand because of rough surface). I installed using anti-seize on all bolts...just in case I decide to take them for powder coating in the future.

The Bed Coating has a sandpaper-y feel, but is very similar to the finish on the 09 steps.

Anyway, here's what it looks like in my messy garage (oh, and that red overspray on the floor is from when my husband spray painted my truck years ago (story in my intro post)...haven't really cared much about the floor since then!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Ooh I like those 09 steps!

My kiddo will be leaving for Iraq next month and I have his E till he returns, I'm planning on adding a few mods to it as a birthday/christmas present for him when he returns.
I was going to get the same steps as mine, but now that I've seen the 09's -----Oh I'm going to be so jealous of his!:cool:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Just finished installing my sidesteps & will post better pics later in another thread. Here is what the oval EOM sidestep looks like on an 08. These were new but discounted because of shipping damage. So what the heck, I decided to paint them. I removed the plastic step and end caps. I used Krylon Fusion "Satin Black" on the end caps. I chose Rustolem Truck Bed Coating after I sanded the oval step & scuffed up the brackets (brackets really impossible to sand because of rough surface). I installed using anti-seize on all bolts...just in case I decide to take them for powder coating in the future.

The Bed Coating has a sandpaper-y feel, but is very similar to the finish on the 09 steps.

Anyway, here's what it looks like in my messy garage (oh, and that red overspray on the floor is from when my husband spray painted my truck years ago (story in my intro post)...haven't really cared much about the floor since then!
Uhh. Yes. Looks good. Reminds me of mine. Except I went the powder coat route instead of the paint route. I did have to paint the plastic end caps though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.