Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any on paddle a Perception Tribe ? I am looking at the 11.5 and the 13.5 SOT

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have no specific knowledge of that particular sit on top, but keep an eye on the weight. SOTs have a tendency to be quite heavy.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I traded a single speed Trek Multi-Track bike last month for a couple year old Perception Caster 11.5 which is a fishing model similar to the Tribe 11.5 (although not as colorful).

So far I find it tracks better than the original SOT Ocean Kayaks we had about 10 years ago. It is however, 50% heavier than our 12' Eddyline rec kayak and a little heavier than our 17.5' Eddyline. The trade off is cost and comfort for beginner paddlers. SOT are also the choice of most anglers.

If it is like the Caster, I'd recommend the Tribe 11.5 as a quality entry level kayak. At over 60 pounds, if you like paddling it will not be long before you upgrade.

Also see the review on paddling.net

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
I need to decide on a kayak in the next couple of months but I'm torn on which one. My current favorite is the Wilderness System Tarpon (sit on top) 120. It has all the fun accessories, but if I buy that new plus a paddle it will cost me almost $1000!! :shock:

I love kayaking, and know I'll use it, but I don't know if I should really spend $1000 on a toy. There's currently a used Ocean Kayak for sale that I could get for about $400. Not as fancy or as nice as the wilderness system brand, but a lot more affordable. Friends say I should get what I really want, but at the same time they think a grand is way too much, so they aren't any help!!!

Noob kayaker please help! I'm currently incapable of deciding.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Since you live in VA, recommend you check out Appomattox River Company's main store in Farmville. If you live closer to the Richmond or Kiln Creek store (as I do) they deliver to that store for you. Toward the end of February / early March they have great discounts on last years models. Info on the sale and new and used inventory is listed on the web site.

Also, there are always a couple dozen kayaks for sale on the Hampton Roads Craigslist. The Caster 11.5, pictured above came my way via Craigslist.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I have the Ocean Kayak Scrambler 11 that I used to use for anything and everything out in Hawaii. Just paddling out in the calm or riding waves around Diamond Head and Waikiki.

Towards the end of my tour there I even had rod holders installed and went trolling a few times. Baby hammer heads are fun to catch. :)

No real help I guess, just saying. :razz:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Holy cow that store is huge, and I've never even heard about it. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't see anything about upcoming sales but it might be too early for them to want to post it.

I offered the Ocean Kayak guy $300 but I don't think he was happy about that. The website said they were only $500 brand new and his was 4 years old :roll: I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Wilderness Systems tarpon 120 that was on craigslist about a month ago, it was only $500

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I bought a Liquid Logic Duece Coupe, it can hold 2 adults and a small kid or dog, it weighs 65 pounds, but has like 6 cup holders and 2 hatches on it. it was $900

·
Registered
660 Posts
Oh, I bought a Liquid Logic Duece Coupe, it can hold 2 adults and a small kid or dog, it weighs 65 pounds, but has like 6 cup holders and 2 hatches on it. it was $900
I looked up Liquid Logic but the only available 1 seater sit on top is too small, only 10 feet, and is built as a whitewater/touring hybrid. I need the cargo area to stick my dog in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you are looking for SOT don't forget to try out a Hobie Mirage Drive Kayaks. These are the ones that you can peddle with with feet and paddle. They are not cheap but are total game changers as to SOT Kayaks. They are great for fishing if that's what you are into. Because you are using your legs, you can go all day and not get tired.

if you are lucky you may find used ones on Craig's list for $600.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you are looking for SOT don't forget to try out a Hobie Mirage Drive Kayaks. These are the ones that you can peddle with with feet and paddle. They are not cheap but are total game changers as to SOT Kayaks. They are great for fishing if that's what you are into. Because you are using your legs, you can go all day and not get tired.

if you are lucky you may find used ones on Craig's list for $600.
I thought about one of those, they look so cool! The local outfitters store has kayaks you can rent to try out, but I don't think they carry those kayaks. I'd definitely want to try one before I bought one. I am a little worried if my dog ends up in the front of the kayak it will hinder my foot paddling abilities.

To the deuce coupe - holy cow that thing is heavy! 71 pounds is crazy, I really only need a single person kayak. The 12 ft 64 pound Tarpon is as heavy as I'm willing to go. I feel like I'm already going to struggle enough with that weight when I'm on my own.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Check online to find a place that rents Hobies in your area. You should totally try one out before you commit. Around here lots of guys fish with them. They allow you to fish with your hands and kayak with your legs.

As for dogs here are some examples of what people do with theirs:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23608

If you look around the hobie forums you can find places to rent in your area.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I ended up finding a used sit on top Ocean Kayak Scrambler for $350, it already came with all the accessories I needed (seat, paddle, etc.) and it matches my Element! I figured this would be a good starter kayak, and if I'm unhappy with it I can always just sell it.

The Hobie kayaks look amazing, and I will probably eventually buy one, but I figured I should curb my spending a little since I just bought a new roof rack, table leg kit and fog lights, and 3 months ago I installed a security system, keyless entry, and several other things for my car. $1000 just seemed a bit frivolous.

I'll let you know how the kayak works out once spring is here

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ocean Kayak Scrambler for $350

Good choice, our first yaks were Ocean Kayak. Along with Hobie, the best known "names", so good resale to newbies. Used ours for 2 years and sold them for 75% of what we paid for them when we upgraded. We had a lot of fun with them following the dolphin pods along VA Beach.

·
Registered
660 Posts
When you have a kayak loaded up on a roof rack, is it better to have it sitting right side up? or upside down? or does it really matter?

Kayaking weather is almost here!!! :razz:

·
Registered
174 Posts
When you have a kayak loaded up on a roof rack, is it better to have it sitting right side up? or upside down? or does it really matter?

Kayaking weather is almost here!!! :razz:
Does not really matter with a sit on top. I usually haul my whitewater SOT on it's side, simply for tie down convenience.

Note: On a normal open hull kayak it is best not to strap down the while it sits on the ****pit rim or bottom of the hull. This can cause deformation of the rim/hull and possible crack it. Stacking on the side is generally safer (at least for whitewater kayaks).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Does not really matter with a sit on top. I usually haul my whitewater SOT on it's side, simply for tie down convenience.

Note: On a normal open hull kayak it is best not to strap down the while it sits on the ****pit rim or bottom of the hull. This can cause deformation of the rim/hull and possible crack it. Stacking on the side is generally safer (at least for whitewater kayaks).
Thanks! My question had gotten buried under other threads so I had given up on it. I'd love to get kayak holders similar to the hullraiser, hoping to find some used since I already spent so much on the roof rack itself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts