Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
It is more of an issue with aftermarket cams. S2 had A LOT of failures in the chain tensioner due to version one and two of their cams, mainly the stage 2 and 3, not the mild cams. Version three of them got things ironed out. There were hardly any failures with stock cams. The Hybrid Racing TCT would be a better option, but will be difficult to replace without pulling the motor. Hybrid's tensioner has been tested on a bunch of 10000rpm plus motors, including turbo ones, with no issues as of yet. What are you looking to swap the tensioner for? I'm running stock cams with my setup at the moment, but when I swap cams I am changing the tensioner too. That's most likely going to be a full race motor, so thats a different story.:evil:

·
Registered
793 Posts
http://www.hybrid-racing.com/store/...ing-chain-tensioner-for-k-series-engines.html

This is hybrids. I think their design is better due to the fact they used not only closer tolerances than honda and stronger metals, that also put teeth on both sides of the tensioner, which was the main way they slipped from what I understand. The stiffer spring in the skunk 2 TCT just makes the tension more, and puts more stress on the spring and chain than need to be. It doesn't need more resistance, it just needed something that didn't fail. Hence the dual ratcheting and harder metals. Plus the hybrid one looks like it could survive a nuclear hollocaust..:grin:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.