Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Re: flexiscreen alternative to Honda screen?

Do you think the Velcro tape would stick well enough to roof liner?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Re: flexiscreen alternative to Honda screen?

just buy the OEM....much easier and you know it works

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
DIY Sunroof Screen

I wanted a screen that could be left in & also be able to close the sunroof. After looking at the area around the opening I noticed the channel is deep & the sunroof weather stripping doesn't reach the channel bottom. This leaves plenty of room for magnets. Here's what I came up with.

Material:
48" x 84" fiberglass screening (this size is wide/long enough to also make a screen for the back hatch)
2 pkgs 7/8" Double Fold Bias Quilt Binding for finished edge (find at fabric/craft store)
small magnets (not knowing exactly what size was best I found K & J Magnets picked up sampler package of 100 for $25.00)

Screen size 24-1/2" x 34". Slide binding over edges of screen & pin in place. Lay the screen over opening & decide where you want to put magnets mark with pins. Slide magnets between top layers of binding pin on both sides. Sew binding onto screen close to inside edge of binding. Leave pins on both side of magnets, position screen in place to make sure magnets are where you want them. When satisfied sew on both sides of magnets to create a pocket. This will keep then in place. Small cylinder magnets fit nicely on both sides & back. Small round flat magnets fit front edge by wind deflector.

From top to bottom - 1 layer of binding, magnet, screening & 2 layers of binding.

Install screen & mark the inside opening where lift handle is. Cut out length & about 1/8" wide. I only made the slit as wide as the widest part of the handle. Slide binding over edges about 1/2 the wide of binding pin in place & sew. Binding edges should over lap each other slightly to fill any gap. Should be snug putting the handle thru.

I'm also working on a hatch screen but ran out of binding. Will post pics when done.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Re: DIY Sunroof Screen

how much do you want for one? seriously.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Wow, that's awesome. I was thinking of buying the screen kit, but I like yur idea much better.

·
Registered
51 Posts

that is absolutely beautiful work. Nice job. My only question is: Will the screen will stay in place while driving with the glass out or driving with the sunroof poped open?

Even if not, it seems easy enough to take on or off when starting/stopping. I'm sure its very helpful when sleeping in the car in muggy and buggy places...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

a zipper over the slit where the handle pops thru would be a great addition... btw. ;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

uncebanyo said:
Will the screen will stay in place while driving with the glass out or driving with the sunroof poped open?
I've had the screen in place since Sunday with sunroof on & poped open. Screen hasn't moved. Didn't notice any difference when closing sunroof either. Haven't had a chance to test for water leakage yet but I don't expect any. I'm pretty sure I put enough magnets in so the screen will stay in place without the sunroof. That will be my next test.

Sheniferous said:
a zipper over the slit where the handle pops thru would be a great addition... btw. ;)
Good idea but you realize that would add to the cost. LOL I am working on a price. Will let you know.

MsGail

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Screen cost will be $80.00 for time & material. I'll also be modifing the handle slit by adding a strip of velcro. This is only needed when the sunroof is off but will be long enough to pinch together w/handle in place.

PM me with your request so I can provide payment info. Any questions you can call me between 8am - 4:40pm EST @ 973-227-4755.

MsGail

·
Registered
727 Posts

Looks great! Might have to have one. Let us know when you are satisfied that it won't leak. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I received and installed mine the other day. Quality materials and workmanship, and easy to install with helpful instructions. Very Satisfied and can't wait to use it a lot this season! Thanks again, MsGail!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts

I'm curious if you notice much reduction in sun glare coming through the glass with the screen in place and sunroof closed. If so, this would be a fantastic dual-purpose item - though it certainly shows its value in bug-screening alone. Excellent idea!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Does the screen stay on with the sun roof up? In the screen5.jpg it seems to lift up a little, creating a opening, with the roof on (unless I am just seeing it wrong).

Looks sweeeet though.

·
Registered
3 Posts

It cuts down on the sun glare slightly; I wouldn't say much. I also have one of those sun screens that fold into a circle for maximum sun glare blockage.

netinman said:
I'm curious if you notice much reduction in sun glare coming through the glass with the screen in place and sunroof closed. If so, this would be a fantastic dual-purpose item - though it certainly shows its value in bug-screening alone. Excellent idea!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Yeah, I was a bit confused by that when first looking at the pic as well. After a few viewings, I realized what was actually going on and that the screen does stay on with the sun roof up. In fact, I tested that out myself today. I had the sunroof up and the screen stayed in place and there was no problem before, after or during the time that the sunroof was up. I didn't notice much, if any, extra wind noise because of the screen, but I'm sure there would be more if the sunroof weren't still attached.

bjw2 said:
Does the screen stay on with the sun roof up? In the screen5.jpg it seems to lift up a little, creating a opening, with the roof on (unless I am just seeing it wrong).

Looks sweeeet though.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Update

Thanks for the compliments.

Screen Movement - my screen has been in 3 weeks with the skylight in & hasn't moved. Also opening & closing skylight has no effect on the screen. I did remove skylight & drive around town. Still didn't move but there is an annoying whistling sound.

Leakage - haven't had heavy rains yet but after washing this weekend & aiming the hose around the skylight I found the binding on the screen edge was wet. Not happy. After removing the screen & drying the entire area I notice 4 holes in each corner. I'm guessing their for drainage? Didn't find any info in the manual. So I tested again without the screen & found a little bit of water in the channel. Don't know if anyone else gets water in the channel but I'm satisfied & will leave my screen in.

MsGail

·
Registered
19 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts